News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

"inspection panels" in doors...

Started by texasmark1, 2010-03-23 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

anybody ever replaced these do-dads? 

I'm almost ready to get my door panels redone and am planning on making and installing panels over some of the holes in the door skins... hopefully to knock down noise and just make the doors a bit more "buttoned up"...

just wondering.

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

05gt

I've made my own door panel instert's before, but never made panels to cover the holes on the door skins. Perhapse instead of making panels to cover the holes, use a form of sound dampering pads, like dynomat?? I would think it would be easier to apply, and probaly more effective than panels. I know Jerrys classics sells replacement panels, but they're VERY pricey!!!

RICH MUISE

I assume you are talking about making removable panels for the openings in the inner door shell, not welded-in ones as these are openings you will need to access occasionally.Don't forget the sheet of plastic covering the inner door shell as well before you install your new upholstery panel, and while you have your door panel off, check the bottom of the door and clean it out to make sure the drain holes are clear.These cars were not designed to be watertight at the roll up windows, rather were designed to feed water thru.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

texasmark1

"yep" to your suggestions, Rich;

I'm thinking of making the "removable" inspection panel(s) from the same material that the door panels are made up/built up on... sort of a heavy duty cardboard, that I have purchased from my local upholstery supplies shop.  Plan on applying some type of water-repellant finish on them so that they are a bit more weather-proofed than just cardboard.

Yeah, something like dynamat would be nice, but I'm on the cheap for much of my restoration due to upcoming sending of my first-born off to college this fall. 

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

Lou

Other than the plastic sheet in the door panel this all sounds like overkill. Most of the noise that comes in to a car comes from the floor and lower firewall. I have added extra padding to these places and cut down a good amount of road noise.

57chero

I purchased some sound deadener called E-Z COOL from concours parts a 3x6 roll for $21.95 and some spray adhesive put on the roof before the headliner went in, inside the doors behind the kick panels and on the floor and up the firewall really makes the car sound solid when you shut the doors.It took two rolls with some left over for my ranchero.

RICH MUISE

Speaking of sound deadeners, if you live in a cold winter area, your local harware store may carry a product called "snow and ice shield" in the roofing materials department. It's a self adhesive rubberlike sheeting, with an aluminum layer on one side. I swear it's the same product that the restoration places sell us with a different label. I bought a 100' roll x 36" at a roofing supply house 3 years ago for about 60.00. It is made to go over sheathing before the shingles are installed. The adhesive is super sticky by the way.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

texasmark1

now you're talking!!  a product that mere mortals can purchase w/out a second mortgage!! 

not much snow and ice in Houston, but I will sure look this stuff up and see if I can get some.

thanks for the tip!!

Mark
God Bless Texas!

Frankenstein57

I had that same thought, there is a product called  "GRACE" that is used on the roof valleys and edges, should do the same thing. The EZ cool you get from concours, has a similar twin product at Menards for quite a bit less. Mark

texasmark1

believe "Grace" is the manf for this roofing product; went to my local hardware store, but they suggested a roofing specialty house... so the hunt is on!
God Bless Texas!