News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Leaking power steering cylinder

Started by JimNolan, 2011-01-06 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I have a leaking power steering cylinder. I bought it when I had the car restored the first time (about 35K miles ago ). It's leaking now. I remember I paid a fortune for it and they returned half the money after I sent in the old one. My question is, is there a power steering fluid that has stop leak in it that really works. If one of you guys have cured a leak by using something, I'd like to give it a try. BTW. My Fairlane now sports new tires, fender skirts and hub caps. I have to wait until the roads get dry again before I have the front end aligned though, it suppose to snow the rest of the week. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Lou

Jim, had the same problem, I used "LUCAS Power Steering Stop Leak" cost about $10.00 at Pep Boys only used about 3 oz. Worked great for me stop leak in less than 5 mins. (Works in Auto transmissions too)

JimNolan

Lou,
   I'll try the Lucas, thanks for the reply. I went to the hanger today and got to thinking about it and called Concours to see if they still required that I send the old one back to get another remanufactored one. I learned that they made new one's that fit my car now. (I have to have the early type with the cast head.) The cost was around $350 but he said it was brand new. I ordered it.
   I'll try the Lucas and hope for the best. If it stops leaking I'll put the new cylinder on the shelf with the new power rack and pinion steering, rocker moldings, Lebaron seat covers and everything else I ordered and haven't used. If any of you guys hear of me dying, you'd better get down here quick. My kids will have all this stuff I've accumulated and didn't use in a dumpster on the way to the trash dump withing two weeks. Jim

ranchero57

hey jim if the stopleak doesnt work, give my buddy sal a call, he rebuilds steering boxes (he did mine and others)he does quality work ,his main work is rams and pumps for big trucks and industrial equiptment.he likes to do the older stuff, as that is how he started out.sal at d@s rebuilders 985-863 -2619.campy

JimNolan

Guys,
   Poured in 6 oz of the Lucas power steering leak sealer. I hope she works. The bottle said it was guarrantied to work. Jim

Lou

Jim, how did you make out with stopping the leak?

JimNolan

Lou,
   I haven't had a chance to drive it. I started it up and turned the wheels a couple times, but that was it. I have got a dilemma though. The new cylinder came in. I ordered it with the hoses too and the total bill was $446.00. Now I'm sitting here with a new cylinder and don't know if I should put it on or just put it on the shelf and wait to see if the stop leak fixes the old one. Do you think the seals in the new cylinder will be OK if I just put it on the shelf for a few years. That is, if the stop leak works on the old one. What would you do, other than not have ordered the new cylinder in the first place. Jim

ranchero57

jim, my friend sal says that the stop leak can mess up the p/s pump and valving.if it sounds too good to be true it probably is,just my experience with magic fix fliuds.i would drain all the fluid and stop leak out and install the new one. campy

JimNolan

I already bought it. It's mine. Why stick it on the shelf hoping the other one would quit leaking with stop leak. I installed it this morning.  P.S. I found a front brake hose that had been chewed down to the metal inner lining by rubbing on the frame. God wanted me under that car today. Jim

glen courier

Jim,
Glad you caught the frayed brake hose. Nothing wrong with a thorogh preflight.