News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Overdrive Relay on Firewall

Started by 57ranchero57, 2007-05-02 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

57ranchero57

Where is the stock location of the Overdrive Relay on the firewall, and where does the wire terminating at the ignition switch go through the firewall? Thanks to anyone that can answer, I appreciate it.
Steve

JimNolan

Steve,
    There's a rectangle plate with the top of it rounded on the extreme left side of the firewall. It has a rounded and curved top with four phillips screws holding it to the cowling. The overdrive relay attaches to the bottom two screws. The overdrive relay will be covering the plate when it is attached. Hope this helps. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57ranchero57

Jim.....thanks a lot, that looks obvious to me now, I appreciate the help. Couple other questions if you don't mind......have you any experience changing over the vacuum wipers to electric? I think Ford starterd putting more electrics on in around 1959. Would the 59 set up bolt right in to the 57 cowl? Does the 59 electric then eliminate the cables and have solid arms instead? What can you tell me about this?
One more, this project was a "basket case" when I bought it. Much of the parts were already stripped off the car and I got them in boxes! So some of the reassymbly is really a challenge. This is my first 57 project since I was 17 years old, many moons ago. There are two pieces from the inside of the cowl, they look like baffles of some kind, one has many angles and sides with only a couple mounting screw holes, the other is just a small L shaped piece about 2 inches bent into an L with two screw holes. They look like they should go inside the cowl opening somehow, any ideas?

Hoosier Hurricane

Ranchero:

The '59 wiper setup is different from '57-'58.  The wiper linkage is inside the car, under the dash.  The linkage is steel pieces instead of cables, but I don't think it is easily adaptable to the '57.  The easiest conversion is to find a '55-'57 Chev wiper motor.  Electrics were optional for them then.  It is a direct bolt-on to the Ford mount, and even the cable from the dash fits to operate the motor.  Biggest problem is cost, if you can find them.  Next choice is a Newport conversion, available from many sources.  Both of these use the cable operating system though.  There was a kit for sale on ebay for chevy to replace the cable system, "adaptable" to other brands.  The cables on my Ranchero were starting to break, several strands were broken, so I thought, "hey, I can build one of those kiits", so I did.  Whew, what a job.  Took me a week and about 4 "start overs" before I finally got it.

The baffles you talk about go on the outer ends of the cowl opening, I think they are to shield water away from the spools on the wiper pivots.

John

JimNolan

Steve,
   What John said.
   My Delco Remy motor is from a late fifties Chevy. uses the same mounting holes, same type of coupling and the same cable coming from the dash. The greatest thing about it is that when you turn it on the wipers are on fast. THEN, when you twist the knob slowly back to the off position the wipers will slow down. It's not like you got wiper delay but you can slow them down to a crawl.  Works great. The only draw back is that the windshield washer pedal won't turn on the wipers anymore. That's life, they don't make'um like they used to. Thank God.
Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I have and electric motor on my Ranchero that is switched by the original cable.  I had the same problem, found I had overtightened the screw holding the cable housing to the wiper motor, caused the cable to bind.  Loosened the screw a little, but not enough to let it slip.  I can turn the wipers on slow right away.  Make sure the switch slide moves freely, dried out grease and dirt over the years can make it sticky also.

John

JimNolan

Thanks John I'll try that. I just thought I was getting something that really shouldn't have been there. Can't remember doing any lubrication to the switch either.
Jim