News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

GAS GUAGE

Started by smurfee, 2011-07-24 18:42

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfee

When I put gas in my 57 ( doesn't matter how much - 5 to 20 gallons ) my guage goes to full & stays there until I am down to about half a tank, any ideas - THANKS, SMURFEE  :unitedstates: :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

JPotter57

Probably a bad voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster.  If not that then a flaky fuel level sender.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

I would look at the sender...the voltage regulater also provides power for the temp gauge.  If it is acting normal most likely the regulater is OK.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Thats true, if it was bad, all the gauges would swing to the max position.  My last truck did that a while back, I had an extra instrument cluster, so replaced the whole thing, then worked properly.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

Smurfee:

Maybe you have an intermittent ground problem at the tank, and the weight of the gas makes or breaks the ground.  Try a jumper wire from the sending unit to a good body or frame ground.

John

Ford Blue blood

Smurfee got to thinking about this problem.  If you have a loose ground the gauge will read empty, a short will have it pegged full.  Ground the temp gauge lead at the sender for about 3 seconds and watch the needle swing to hot then do the same with the fuel gauge at the sender.  If it swings just like the temp gauge did that will confirm the gauge, wiring and voltage chopper (regulator) all good.  That leaves the sending unit in the tank.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II