News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 Power steering bracket and pump on a 351W

Started by RAWms, 2006-11-30 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

Background:  351W in a '57 and still assembling the project.  The car has a Wurthit Designs rack & Pinion steering setup.

A week ago I found a 351W at the bone yard.  I took the entire front end off the motor to get the brackets, pump, alt., pulleys, etc. with the idea I would use what I could.  Turned out the water pump pulley so far is about it for various reasons.

Mounted the '84 PS bracket and attempted to mount the rebuilt PS pump from NAPA last night.  For you planning this PS mount, it does NOT work as the pump hits the driver upper control arm.

So I pulled the original '57 PS brackets and pump for a test fit.  By golly, it would appear enlarging one hole to 7/16" to bolt to the head and a small amount of grinding material on the lower part of the bracket to clear the water pump and I think this will work.

Any one out there tried this before?   

Thx, r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

briney

RAWms,

I haven't tried that before seems like it should work though. Let us know. By the way have you got the rack and steering column completely installed? If so did it install easy?  Did you modify the stock column or use something else?  The reason for all the questions is easy.  I plan to install one too.  I'm trying to decide what to do about the column.  I just finished putting Granada Spindles and brakes on my Ranchero and was planning on moving to the steering next. My current steering box has about 7 to 8 inches of play and the screw is buried all the way down.  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick
Dallas, TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

57AGIN

Briney:

This question is for you and the color on your Ranchero.  Your turquoise looks very much like the one on my Custom 300.  However, I can't seem to find that turquoise was even offered in 57.  Is your paint an original color available from Ford in 57, it sure doesn't show on John Gamble's site.  It is very period correct and I get lots of complements on mine.  But, I can't find a name of a Ford color for it and turquoise is hard to match.  How's  that for an off the wall question.

briney

57AGIN

The picture may be a little off due to the lighting. The color is actually 1958 Edsel Turquoise PPG paint code 41991

Hope that helps

Patrick
Dallas, TX

57AGIN

Briney:

Thanks.  I know turquoise was very popular in the mid-fifties and was available from most manufacturers.  I guess, just not Ford???

Oh, yes I know that with turquoise not every picture will show the true color.  In fact the color is off, more often than not.

Bob
57AGIN

RAWms

Bob,
Turquoise is so natural on your car I was surprised it was not offered in '57.  Also, your car sits perfect!!!

briney,
I actually wanted to stay with the original column and steering wheel for appearance reasons.  I was concerned that a different column would look clunky.    But the thought of having a birthday waiting for the car to turn and needing more room in the driver seat I decided to install an IDIDIT column.  Easier hook up and the appearance is good.

r

...as of Apr 2007

briney

RAWms,

From the looks of it you are going to have it on the road in a matter of weeks for its anniversary.  Did you do a complete body off on it? If have some time I would really like to see some more pictures of your ranchero. What color is it? It looks like you have put a lot of time and effort into it. In regards to the rack, thanks for the information. I am somewhat concerned about the joints where the column hooks to the rack.  Did you get all the parts from Rick including the joints, and did you have to do much cutting to get everything to fit?

Oh, if you can send me some pictures just send them direct to my email so we don't clog up the board.

Thanks very much,

Patrick
Dallas, TX

RAWms

briney,
I sent you and e-mail with some picts.  I did forget to tell you the car is 2004 VW Mellow Yellow.  Similar to the cars original Inca Gold.

Rick Wurth of Wurthit Designs provided everything for the rack & pinion and steering column.  It is a straight forward install especially with the engine out.  After the rack is in and the steering column knows where it will live, the Double-D shaft connecting the U-joints is cut.  Also, I needed to notch the driver side rack to frame mount for the pressure hose connection.  Rick gave me a heads up it might be required.

r

...as of Apr 2007

briney

RAWms

I got the pictures, your Ranchero looks fantastic!! Mellow Yellow appears to be a very good choice. Wow, you did you the body and paint work yourself?  When you painted it, what kind of gun and compressor did you use?  Do you have a booth? Also, was the paint a two stage paint, and then clear? 

Looking at the pictures you sent of the steering it looks pretty straight forward.  Is that a 32" column? I think I have decided to go with a tilt column like you installed. I see your column has a shifter and tilt. I was wondering what you are doing about the automatic shift indicator, are you going with a manual shift?  I was looking at ordering the selector and neutral safety switch in the column as an option, what are your plans?

Can you give me some information on the '97 T-bird "Push on Push Off" parking brake setup? It sounds interesting.

The plans on my Ranchero are pretty straight forward. Since mine is already a driver I kind of wanted to do things in pieces so I could continue to use the car as much as possible. I want to get all the pieces installed and working properly, then disassemble the entire car and finish the body and paint work.  We have a guy right down the road that can tank "dip" the body and then there is another guy who can powder coat the frame right next door. At that point it is just a matter of fixing the rear quarters and other minor bodywork, then the paint it and put it all back together. This ranchero was rodded in the 70's and the rear quarters were sized out. As far as sheet metal work, the repairs will include reworking the quarter panels, replacement of one toe board, passenger side and one pan behind the passenger seat. Even those pieces are only pin holed they are none the less compromised. The rusting was due to a leaky windshield seal. I'm sure when it gets out of the tank I will find more hidden gems to deal with. The car was rescued from a north Texas carport where it set for 30 years. Currently it has a 292 and a Fordomatic that runs great. I Have the cash and plan to finish the car over the next year. I have 390 motor and C6 transmission scoped out for it to do in the early summer. My plan for now is to get the steering in.

Thanks again for the pictures and information on the column.  Your Ranchero is going to be one sweet ride when you get it done.  Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,

Patrick
Dallas, TX

RAWms

briney,
I will send you a couple of the e-mails I have sent to folks who have been following the car's progress.  They are more detailed.

Taking your questions in order below that might be of interest to the board:

Body & paint - I did all the body and sanding.  Corrected a couple of factory imperfections and smoothed the rain gutters where they join over the windshield corners.  I never liked that "clamp" Ford used.   I have a friend (who is a professional builder and world drag racing record holder in the 80s) who shot the base coat and clear coats.  We did do the initial prime in a make shift booth.  The rest was done in the open on my washed & wet driveway on a perfect windless morning.  I was surprised but it worked; first coat without trash is critical.  Don't know the gun used.

Steering column - On the Speedway invoice it is a 33" IDIDIT column, part number 446-1333D.  It is the brushed steel model that is supposed to be painted.  However the brushed look looks so good I clear coated it instead.    I used Wurthit Designs upper column mount instead of the IDIDITs.  The upper mount is a puk to install but the column ain't going anywhere thats for sure!  The bottom of the column is the IDIDIT mount.   I have not addressed the indicator issue yet.  I'm running a Ron Francis nuetral safety switch which was a recommendation from this board.  btw because that is a tight turn down to the rack, you may want to explore the column length further.  Rick recommended mine and I'm not sure there is an inch shorter or not.  The upper mount is right at where the column wires come out.

Parking brake - Never liked the pull on parking brake.  When I took the seats, shoulder belts, etc. from the T-bird I grabbed the Push-on Push-off setup.  Used spacers to mount square and bolted to the kick panel bulkhead.  I don't think this would have been possible with the fenders on.  The cable connection under the car required cutting off the bracket on the transmission crossmember and re-welding to the forward side.  Then a fabricated steel rod will connect to the brake cabling to the rear wheels.

Good luck on your car, r

...as of Apr 2007

larryb346

RAWMS
If you would include me as one of your fans and send me the pics and prior emails I wold enjoy seeing them. My ranchero is still behind the shop and hopefully will get going on in in the next few weeks. Yours looks great.
Larry

briney

Roger,

In looking at the pictures you sent it looks like you have spent a lot of time repairing the rust damage to the floor.  It looked like it was very painful!  The rest of the body looked really good. Do you have any idea how many man hours you have in your car so far?  The paint is a very close match to the original and looks good.

I did review the picture of the linkage for your rack and the one joint looks very very close to the frame, almost to the point of binding.  Did the instructions Rick sent show it that close to the frame?  How clear are his instructions?

On another note:
I was reading the other threads on the forum about the Knots Berry Farm show.  I really miss parts of living is So Cal.  I used to live in Anaheim near Brookhurst and Orange Avenue and went to lots of car socials, and the Pomona swap meet, lots of fun.

Keep us posted on your progress.  I have plans to drive my Ranchero back that way for a vacation in the future. Maybe our paths will cross, you never know for sure.

Thanks for all the information you have supplied.

Patrick

RAWms

Overall I'm probably 400+ hours on the car to date.   Finished an estimate might be 500+.    The floor pans I think approached 75+ hours.  That is because I ( and a first timer on floor pans) sneaked up on the fit by making several cuts with a cutting wheel on the same seam.  That was tedious.  It was like making jewelry.  They did fit nice though. 

The body work which was only the passenger quarter and rocker, block sanding to metal, blocking through two colors of prime, wet sanding the prime, and color sanding have the last entry in the sanding log at 153 hours.  I still need to wet sand the front clip and color sand.  So body & paint probably over 200 hours in the end.

The R&P instructions were fine.  There are lots of pictures where needed.  The install is straight forward.  Execution of the upper steering column mount takes a little perseverance and lots of silicon spray.  You will probably need to notch the driver frame mount for the hose connection.  I changed pump direction since my order regarding the power steering pump to be used; I'm staying with the original '57 pump.  So far however I have made the hose work out ok with regards to fittings, run, and length.  I have talked to a couple of folks running the setup and they say it is an amazingly positive change to the cars driving character.  I'm anxious to get it on the road.

I have spent the last two weeks on engine pulleys and brackets and AC component installation.  :flame:

I have always said these projects take two+ years.  I convinced myself this car would only be a year because of the condition (still a basket case) but very solid and heck, I'm now retired.  March 31, 2007 I will have owned this project two years.  Yep, they all take two years+ and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck on your project, r 

...as of Apr 2007

Fairlane500Ron

RAWms
I too would like to receive your pictures and e-mails of progress.
I am installing Grenada disc brakes on my 57 Fairlane 500 Townsedan,
but I enjoy watching your Ranchero progress.
Thanks
Ron
Rons57Ford*AT*Gmail.com
PS
This is first time I'v seen all the smilie options.....Wow.

RAWms

I sent them today.   Send some picts back on what your doing.   r

...as of Apr 2007