News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Re-installing door glass in Ranchero door

Started by RAWms, 2007-02-27 19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

Read and re-read the shop manual.  While you need to assume a few steps, installing the channel for the top and down the rear of the door leaves me thinking more patience or a different procedure?

Background: New division bar, channel, glass cut using the original glass as a pattern, and after market power windows.  The wind wing and division bar are installed.  Glass mounted on the power slide.  All hardware except the WW/division bar is loose.  WW/Division bar as far forward as possible.  I did NOT spray any lube like silicon.

The challenge is inserting the channel down the rear of the door.  I have tried both ways; with and without the channel guide support that bolts at the lower of the door.  Maybe just a little more "...get in there you son-of...!!!" will do the job but thought I would ask first. 

Folks that have installed door glass, did you install the channel with the support piece attached to the channel as a unit?

Thx in advance, r :felix: :icon_jook:
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Take good notes Roger, I'll be needing them
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

fomocochoptop

If isnstalled door Glass many times. Try Leaving the Vent Assembly A little Loose so you have some play. The Lower Door bolt must be loose. Its probably better if you have an extra pair of hands to help you Hold the glass while you insert the glass in the verticle channels.

RAWms

Everything is in the door including the glass.  It is the channel insertion I'm having a problem.  I can't decided if the channel support (the part that bolts to the lower door) should be in first or installed with the channel.  Because of the channel gripping tabs I think it should be installed as a unit.   Thx, r :help1:

...as of Apr 2007

RAWms

You know how sometimes you just need a different day to solve a problem.  La Suprema tells me often to do something else and work on it tomorrow; Often she :director: is right.  :deadhorse:

The channel with the attached supporting piece attached went in as a unit.  It just needed a little more encouragement and did slip right in.  :violent1:  A non issue as it turns out.  :occasion14:   (Edited 3/1) I need to add the step and that is before inserting the glass, do a test fit with the channel and the support bracket.  Mark the channel (with a Sharpie) aligning the channel pop-in tabs and the mark will tell you the channel relationship to the support bracket.  Remove the channel and then insert the glass followed by the channel.

Running the glass up and down was and still is an alignment issue.  Loosened everything and even took bolts out especially the ones holding the motor.  Goes up and down but lower at the rear edge is low.  That will be Saturdays job.

:Wizard:

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

RAWms,
    Can't help you with the window fit. Went through that and forgot most of it. Although I do remember one thing. On both front vertical rails, I replaced the countersunk rivets that hold the rail to the front bracket ( just below the vent window ) with pop rivits. I ended up breaking both front door windows by the window being jarred while in the down position. If you took the short cut of installing round headed pop rivets to hold the front vertical rails in, stop, and do it over with countersunk rivets. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RAWms

I used the rivets that came with the division bar.  r

...as of Apr 2007