News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New member, and 57 VIN locations

Started by EB338, 2008-02-23 16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

EB338

The seller just called and said he has been told that the VIN was also stamped into the body somewhere on the firewall.  Has anyone here heard of this?  Is the VIN stamped into the body shell anywhere we know of?

:deadhorse:

JPotter57

I've not seen it myself, but you never know.  Most of the VIN I have seen have been on the top of the frame rail on the left side, and another sometimes, not always, on the top of the left rear side rail.  Only 2 of the 6 or 7 I have had was this way.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lou

57agin, That a really interesting data plate, both the original and the repo. I did the original research on reproducing data plates in the early 1980s, for Backeast <http://www.datatags.com/> both legal and for production. I've never seen a data tag with the background like that. It just goes to prove that when you think you know everything there is to know about a something you still have something to learn. (Backeast was a client of mine, I do not have or ever have had any interest in thier company)

57AGIN

Lou:

Yes, when I got my car in 1998 I wasn't worried about the appearance of the data plate.  But as the car was nearing completion I kept looking a the darn thing and started doing research.  The data plate that Marti Autoworks sent me was in a small envelop with a Ford Motor Company sticker affixed and the plates are accurate in terms of the patents listed (as compared with a buddy's plate on his 57).  I'm really pleased with the replacement plate.  But, without having a real clear photo of the original plate (reverse side) to send to Marti Autoworks, I'm not sure if they could do a reproduction.  There was never an issue on my paperwork (VIN numbers all agreed with the data plate) so me situation might be a bit different from Erich's.  Also, I kept my old data plate should there ever be a question.

Bob
57AGIN

EB338

Fortunately all the 57's I own still have their tags and truthfully they are all virtually perfect in appearance which surprises me given the condition of some of my cars.

I passed on the car in question.  It was a 57 retractable that was all apart with almost another cars worth of parts included (which would have been nice for the retract I already have).  Im not sure exactly what was going on, but I think they seller got taken when he bought them in the first place.  He got a title with a VIN that was too long and only had one letter in it not remotely resembling a 57 number, the frame number which I talked him through finding turned out to be a 58, and the previous owner "lost" the tag when doing body work.  With no way to tie even a correct title back to the car with no VIN I was not going to be able to register it in my state or get a reproduction tag, and frankly got uncomfortable about the whole deal.  I think the seller was legitimate and thoroughly upset about the situation.  He later told me someone who owns a salvage yard in southern Illinois ended up with the car so unfortunately it will probably cease to exist.  Its always frustrating to see a car nicer than my project basis parted or caught in a mess like that. 

My understanding was that you had to have either the remains of the original tag, and/or the frame number as well as matching clear title in your name to get anyone to make you a new tag.  I assume there is someone somewhere who would make you one without the proof but I don't want to live under the radar like that and what would you have put down anyhow?   

Frankenstein57

After reading this information, I checked mine. There it was, just behind the right front control arm on top of the frame. Mark