News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering

Started by clubcoupe57, 2018-11-06 11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Has anyone used borgsen power steering conversion on 57 Fairlane,or suggestions  thanks

Ford Blue blood

Helped install two, both into mid sized Fords, Mustang and a Fairlane.  Kit was perfect, literally a true bolt in with the exception of having to modify the steering column.  The steering column will have to be modified no matter which way you go (rack and pinion or Borgeson).  You should use the GM pump that is recommended.  The owner of the Fairlane wanted to use a Ford pump but none seamed to do the job.  I put in the GM pump and it was perfect.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I just installed one in my Custom, should be the same. It works well but I modified the column and firewall plate to allow the use of a rag joint instead of the coupler. It will work with an automatic column shifter but not a manual column shifter (I don't think). The one thing that is awesome about the conversion is that it decreases turns lock to lock from 4 1/2 to under 3. I am still getting use to that. One issue I am having that I have not looked into yet is that the system squeals at full lock. I'll be happy to discuss my install in depth if you'd like.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-11-07 08:24... the system squeals at full lock. ...

So isn't it the belt that's squealing?  That what it normally is.

lalessi1

I don't think it is the belt, I have an 8V belt that is well tensioned. I think it is the relief valve wherever that is. May be a piece of trash? I am going to call Borgeson when I remember during their hours...
Lynn

lalessi1

Quote from: Tom S on 2018-11-07 19:26
So isn't it the belt that's squealing?  That what it normally is.

Turned out it was the belt. Tom S, you got me thinking. Turns out there was a spacer problem that was allowing the AC compressor to flex slightly. The addition of a flat washer and a re-tensioning of the belt solved the problem. Those 8V belts make a lot of noise when they squeal.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-11-25 12:12Turned out it was the belt. ...

Glad you found the problem.  I don't know much about power steering but the only thing I ever knew of it that squeals were the belts. 

ROKuberski

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-11-07 08:24
I just installed one in my Custom, should be the same. It works well but I modified the column and firewall plate to allow the use of a rag joint instead of the coupler. It will work with an automatic column shifter but not a manual column shifter (I don't think). The one thing that is awesome about the conversion is that it decreases turns lock to lock from 4 1/2 to under 3. I am still getting use to that. One issue I am having that I have not looked into yet is that the system squeals at full lock. I'll be happy to discuss my install in depth if you'd like.

I too have the Borgeson PS unit in my Fairlane 500/automatic transmission.  I did not install a rag joint because I could not see that I had the room to do so.  I cut off the outer tube on the steering column just below where the shift linkage mounts.  I put in a bronze bushing in the outer tube with a hole for the column to go through.  This kept the otherwise unsupported end of the outer tube inplace so the shift linkage would work.  I did not think it was possible to cut off enough to make room for the rag joint.  You can hear noise from the pump coming in through the solid connection to the PS unit.  Could you furnish a photo of your install?

I've got a picture of mine, but I forgot how to add a picture to this forum.

lalessi1

Since I have a floor shift the process was straight forward. I made a new floor plate and cut a hole big enough to clear the rag joint. I then made a separate cover that bolted on the floor plate over the rag joint. The first pic is of the cardboard template I made. I used a Flaming River column floor mount and bolted that to the cover, see pic 2. I also used a roller bearing with a shoulder in the end of the column. I am very happy with the results. The squealing turned out to be a belt tension issue I didn't think I had at first. I think my arrangement may be adaptable to an automatic column shifter but it would take some doing.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Thanks for the response.

By using the stock column, I think I have it as good as I can.  I've also got that area pretty congested anyway.  The lines for the hydroboost unit are close in there too. 

Rich

Jaybird

I just installed the Borgeson system on my Wagon. Two things that I have done different than most are, I cut the column back used an exhaust adapter to fit the column to the Borgeson box. So, the column still clamps to the box.

Then instead of using their coupling, which can bind the shaft if not exactly centered, I used a steering u-joint from Speedway. It fits nice inside the modified column tube and gives you room that the rag joint would take away. These ae used in street rod applications all the time and are safe.

I will follow this up with pictures as soon as I can.
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp