News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Custom Restoration & Big Block Swap on the web

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2008-09-27 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

If anyone's interested I started a web log of my latest project, a 1957 Ford Custom.  I bought this car from Randy Conner in Wisconsin. The car was an original 6-cylinder stick that Randy used for a while as a daily driver.  He swapped in a 1957 272 and a very nice T85 overdrive trans.  The car is being converted to a big block with a 3 speed O/D on the column.  If you would like to see my progress as I go along the URL is http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/57ford/ .  I'll be posting new pictures every once in a while.

Lou

Nice car and looks like some great workmanship. But I don't see how it's a restoration if your swaping in a big block?

JPotter57

Restification?  Very nice car, and great job on it...What kind of wheels do you plan on using?  Tire sizes?  Paint?  Lotsa questions here man.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

Ford_Crazy

Restoration or Restification, who cares?  Anyway, the car will probably be black with 1958 gold center dog dish hub caps.  I restored a 57 Fairlane 500 with a 312 about 15 years ago.  My first car was a 57 Custom, so Y-Blocks bring back lots of memories for me. I want a big block in this one.  Black, big block with three duces, solid lifters and three on the tree with O/D  ...  what could be better than that?  $427?

shopratwoody

Black sounds good with the dog dish caps also. I've had some good y-blocks also but my Ranchero got
it's first 427 in the 60's. Nothing like H.P.
Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

Sounds like a good plan...I, for one, look forward to seeing more....Keep us posted
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

I'm still going back and forth on the color. Black is my first choice, but this car is factory Willow Green and Colonial White like the one I had in high school.  I'm a long way from paint, so I'll have to think about it some more.

robhaerr

Quote from: flawebmaster on 2008-09-28 07:07
Black, big block with three duces, solid lifters and three on the tree with O/D  ...  what could be better than that?

It's your car, of course...but a 4-speed(or 5 speed) with a floor mounted Hurst shifter would be my idea of better. Looks great!

Cheers...
Rob

Marc

Looking good! That mustang looks pretty sweet too. I like the green & white, just because it's a combination you really don't see when you bring it to a show. But, black & white or black & yellow look fantastic on these cars.

Ford_Crazy

The floor mounted 4 or 5 speeds are the norm.   My 61 Starliner had a 401 HP 390 with a three speed OD and I loved it. Just the right amount of 50s hot rod nostalgia.  I remember my Dad saying to me when I was a kid "How come you guys are always putting a floor shift in your cars?  We got rid of the floor shift 20 years ago!"   If you remember that, you are old .... me too. :003:

Frankenstein57

I had emailed you awhile back about the 406 manifolds clearing everything in my 57 dirtcar, That car started life as a 58, which we reskinned to a 57. So you are on the right track with the 58 steering box, looks good!, Mark

BAMA_57

Looks good Phil. What are you using on the inside (black paint/primer... Pro15) of the '57? It looks like it's been brushed on. The Mustang looks really nice, you do good work.
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Ford_Crazy

The brushed on black is Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.  Don't have too much rust, but it covers everything nicely.