News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane 500 Carburetor Ethanol Gas

Started by chapingo17, 2020-12-10 12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Since our 57's are not driven much in cold weather it might be blocking the exhaust crossovers would help with this problem.

I've seen intake gaskets with much smaller crossover holes sold by baby T-Bird vendors to keep from burning off the paint on the intake manifold.

Ron.

Fabulous50s

I agree, I'd like to block off the air heater crossover altogether. Cold air is better.

I already removed the flap (cross over valve) on the passenger side manifold.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

chapingo17

I'm running into the same problems as did before I guess I will try running 100% gasoline and I will keep you guys updated.

hiball3985

Quote from: chapingo17 on 2021-03-08 20:45
I'm running into the same problems as did before I guess I will try running 100% gasoline and I will keep you guys updated.
What changes did you make that didn't help?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Wirenut

I was experiencing hard to restart after getting to normal operating temperature and sitting for a few minutes. I insulated my fuel line from the fuel pump to carb, installed a phenolic spacer and that helped tremendously.
I still had some rich running conditions, but after reading some comments about a Summit carb on this forum, I switched to one and have had no issues at all. My Holley and Edelbrach for some reason would not adjust to where the car ran right. I did downsize from a 600 CFM to a 500 CFM and now after sitting for weeks at a time and during all stop and starts, at all temperatures, I have had no running issues in over a year now. It was a trial and errorprocess for a few weeks, jet changes and float adjustments.
Goodluck on working out your issues.

chapingo17

I found a fix for mine, if it's parked sitting after a drive, I simply remove carburetor air filter cover no gas pumps and simply start the car with the key.  I think what is happening is the vapors of the gas (ethanol) are flooding the engine intake. Would the vehicle over heat if I cover the exhaust ports going to the carburetor. And if I do how would I cover them?