News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'58' Headlights

Started by Ranch, 2022-02-21 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranch

You guys that have the Quad headlights
When you hit the floor switch for your High Beams are all four of your lights on or just the center two?
  The reason I ask is I never realized all four of mine lite till I put LED's (Vintage Car LED's) in for normal driving lights. So if I go to put my High Beams on the Low beams (LED's) are white and the Inner ones are yellow.  Not that I ever need the High Beams 'caus the LEDs are really bright and flashing the highs really makes little difference. I guess I'll have to get another set of lights for the inner mounts just so I have all white lights if I ever need all four.  When I have them aimed I'll ask to have them set to the lower tolerance of alignment, don't need people to think they are having a close encounter.  Thanks for any response.

abe_lugo

I added quads on my Hardtop 57.  Low beam- outers  only, high beam inners only.  After market wiring.  EZ kit. Halogen H2
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Lou

On my bone stock 58 all 4 lights came on at high beam.

SkylinerRon

All 4 on all my other cars.

Ron.

Fairlane62

The original low beam bulbs have three plug prongs and they have two elements inside, one for high and one for low.  The element for high is situated where it will aim slightly higher than the one for low.  This operates the same as a single headlight works on a 57.
The high beam bulbs only had two prongs and a single element inside.  So when on low beam only the single element is lit, on high beam the second element in the low beam bulb lights up along with the secondary high beam bulb.

James

Ranch

Thanks guys.  Even though I've had my 58 Ranchero 50+ years I never had a reason to notice that all 4 lite in high beam mood even with rewiring it a few years back.  After upgrading the low beams I had the car in the garage with the door shut and I wanted to see how much difference there is between what I thought was independent lights.  Well when I  hit the switch for what I thought would be just the inside bulbs to light I was surprised to see a white spot and a yellow on the garage door.  Like I said, I'm going to order two more LED so I,ll have all four light up white.
Thanks again for the responses sure cleared up that mystery.  Just goes to show; learn something new everyday,

Bill

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN