News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Pertronix Electronic Ignition Help

Started by rxsuperhero, 2010-02-17 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

rxsuperhero

FYI, I am a novice and trying to run a 312 v8 57 ford fairlane 500

I recently installed the Pertronix electronic ignition with an updated pertronix coil and removed the ballast resistor per new-coil recommendations.  I am not sure if I need to keep the ballast resistor in place.  Actually, I am not having as much success with the new ignition update as I thought I would (no strong spark when testing the wires with a screwdriver against a ground).  I have read many posts that give different wiring scenarios but I'm still lost.   Any tips would help. 

johnny

JimNolan

Hero,
   The Pertronix doesn't use a ballast resistor. A Mallory Unilite does. First check to make sure you're getting 13.5 volts minimum to the plus side of you're coil when the engine is running. These Pertronix units needs about 13.5 Volts to run right ( best of my recollection ). If you don't have 13.5 volts check you're ground cable from the battery to make sure it's good. If you have voltage check you're Pertronix coil to see if you've got the right one. One has a high resistance and one has a low resistance. The instructions should say something about which coil to get. I had to send mine back because I got the wrong one. It sounds like you've got the wrong coil. Just use an ohmmeter to check from the + and - terminals. If the pertronix unit will fire the engine up that means it's working. The amount of spark you get to the spark plug is a result of the coil. The Pertronix Unit just takes the place of the points and condenser. Theoretically the pertronix unit could have an impact on the quality of coil collapse but in your case it sounds like you've got the wrong coil. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

I agree with Jim.  Be sure  you have a good coil, make sure you have a full 12 v or better to the coil.  I prefer MSD distributors myself, I hate the Unilite.  I have a Unilite on my Cleveland, but it will be replaced by an MSD Pro Billet before I run it.  That photocell pickup in the Unilite is prone to failure, usually at night, in the rain, when you dont have your cell phone or tools with you.  When I drove my last car with a unilite, I always kept a spare Duraspark II distributor and ignition module in a bag in the trunk.  When they're right, they'e good, when they fail, it sucks---bad.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Thor

I got to agree about the Unilite being a terrible piece. I had a 70 cutlass with one that started going bad. Whenever the car got warmed up it would simply shut the engine down at random times followed by a backfiring restart while still moving down the highway! Had the dangest time figuring the problem out but fixed it by changing out the module in the distributor.
    Only thing that was funny about all this was I had a fool tailgateing me one time at night in a BMW. The Cutlass stumbled, stopped running for a second, then restarted with a huge backfire/fireball from out of both exhausts. :blowup1: Engulfed the tailgateing BMW in a fireball! :evil4: :icon_madu: Dude in the BMW dropped back in a big time hurry! Wife and kids were with me and we all four laughed our fool heads off the rest of the way home! :005: :005: :005: :005: Seems the Cutlass didn't like the BMW dude sniffing her butt!

Have a Great Day,
Thor   

geraldchainsaw

have had a pertronix in my 69 mustang for years with no problems,   and this summer going to put it into the 57,  but i'll b using a coil also,  and i c where u say the unicoil isn't very reliable,    what do u think about the "flame thrower"  from Pertronix????????,   thanks for any info,   jerry

Gramps

I sell Pertronix Ignition in the UK. I have never encountered a problem with these units.
I always recommend using an ignitor and 1.5ohm coil for V8's
Hope this is of help