News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vin decoder

Started by jarhead1986, 2012-05-20 20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead1986

I have a 58 custom 300 and I would like to decode the vin to figure out what gear ratio the rear end has.
Any help would be great. Thanks. :iamwithstupid:

sprink88

Hi and welcome. You could try the decoder on 1957ford.com . Page 3 of specifications says there is a tag on the rear axle drivers side of driveshaft with ratio
~Chris

jarhead1986

Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. How can I tell if my car is a custom or custom 300?

Ford Blue blood

The door tag will have a "body" code on it as well....ie...66B, 70A etc.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Normally unless someone has gone thru a lot of work to do so a 300 has side molding with a gold insert while the plain jane custom has a single bar stainless trim starting behind the door.  Norwell is doing that to his 300. Its a much simpler look.

In my necks of the woods that molding was referred to as a "hockey stick" in other parts of the  country that was used for the rocker molding on Fairlanes.

So to be safe use the VIN decoder.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

As Bill said, the door tag will tell you. 70A is the Custom, 70B Custom300, 70D Business coupe....which brings up the question why no 70C?? I wonder if they had plans for a mid-sized convertible that was scrapped??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

Years ago I heard a story from a Ford engineer that Ford was thinking about a 57 convertible based on the Custom & Custom 300. I wouldn't have been much of a problem to produce as customs share the same wheelbase as a 52/56 Ford car. He said the idea was scrapped because market research said it would cost almost as much as a Fairlane 500 76B to build and it's sales would hurt the sales of the Fairlane 500 convertible. I don't know how true the story is, but the guy I got it from as told me other stories from inside Ford that checked out.

Zapato

personally wouldn't have any problem believing that story.  market research always trumps good ideas.

Zapato

jarhead1986

well this may sound crazy but my car had the gold insert but the door tag says 70a for custom tudor. Im kinda confused now.

RICH MUISE

ok...lol..don't tell anyone I responded to this because I'm suppose to be banned until I watch "Thunder Road"..which I ordered thru Amazon, but with the long weekend, probably won't get here til the end of the week...so this is between me and you.
The reason for your confusion is the info we've been giving you is for '57's, and I just noticed your opening post said you had a '58. Model numbers are reused every year regardless of model names and model name changes. You'll have to find a model info chart that covers '58's. I was looking at one not to long ago..I'm thinking it was in the Dennis Carpenter catalog. If I'm not mistaken the Custom series was dropped in '58, with only the Custom 300 being available....but that chart will tell you for sure.
Don't forget..I didn't reply to this.

JPotter57

Correct.  There was no Custom in '58, only Custom 300. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Rich, anyone brave enough to risk further ban to clear up a question as you did deserves another Karma point.

Zapato

jarhead1986

Thanks guys....Its hell being a young rookie.  :iamwithstupid:

RICH MUISE

LOL...you have it easy...try being an OLD rookie

jarhead1986

Ya your right. All my old man talks about is how he cant see, hear, and dont feel good no more!