News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carlisle this week-end

Started by JimNolan, 2012-05-28 20:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Pa. I'll visit with relatives in Lock Haven and then on to Carlisle on Friday morning. Grab a buddy and come on out. I'll keep you supplied with Diet Coke or Pepsi and have an extra chair waiting on you. The weather will be in the 70-80's and you sure will be welcome to come by. I'll be taking the 57 again. I like the show because it's Ford People. I'm so tired of seeing 55-57 chevy's at these car shows it's really not funny any more. It's one of the best all Ford Shows we got. It might have been better in the past but it's still all we got now. There, you can't say I haven't begged. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Frankenstein57

Jim, I know what you mean. I entered my first ever car show this spring, Griffin Ford all Ford show. Spring icebreaker, went in with no expectations and won a second place plaque. Two weeks ago I did another all Ford show, really enjoyed all the positive feedback from that crowd. I'm pondering a fathers day show at a local speed shop, but its kind of a chevy fest.  Mark

wv 57s forever

:deadhorse:
   dont fear the bowtie, i  show with chevys, just expect every new vet and camero, or 55,56,57 chevy to win a prize.

57AGIN

Mark:

I echo what wv 57s forever said.  Both Rick and I have been awarded trophies, we feel just because there are so many bow ties at the shows that judges or the public (whom ever judges the cars) like to see something other than a Brand X.  Remember we drive classics, they just drive Chevy's. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Guys,
  Just got back from Carlisle this morning about 1:15am. I got back late because I stayed for the awards presentation. I'd never done that before. We had a good time and saw Jerry Henry, SlimJim and his Dad Jim, Ken and a few more that my 64 year old alztimers brain can't remember. They had a lot of nice cars. The 57's were represented well this year. The quality was good but there were only about six on the showfield. There were more nice 57's but they didn't have to park with the riff-raff on the showfield. For those that didn't recognize me, I was the old fat guy in a straw hat carrying around a 10 lb. white poodle. ( A man's got to be secure in his manhood to do that).
  The judging was by participants again this year and they had an extra plaque called the Niffy Fifty where they had a team of judges pick the top fifty cars out of over 2800 this year. ( Two years ago my car couldn't make the top 50 out of 125 cars at a car show here in Warsaw), that's a fact. Anyway, we had a good time and I really enjoy talking to Ford people.
  Needless to say the Mustangs were represented very well. The people staying in the motel rooms next to me were from Onterio, Canada. It was a father/son thing and they had their spouses with them. Each had a new Mustang and the relationship they shared with those cars would make anyone envious. I wish I had that with my kids. I just can't bring myself to wear a bandana around my head, tattoo my arms and ride motorcyclles with my youngest or move to Mississippi to be near the oldest. On second thought Mississippi might be the way to go. Anyway, I look at the Mustangs a little different now, all Mustang owners aren't 18, disrespectful or spaced out. Jim  PS  Gas mileage on the 57 this year was 20mpg @ 70mph and 18.47mpg overall for the 1336 miles I put on it this week.

57AGIN

Jim:

Sounds like you really had a great time.  Very nice gas mileage, too.  My 57 @ about 8 mpg would have cost me about $680, at CA gas prices, to cover the same miles you did on your trip. 

I, too, used to be somewhat conflicted when I'd go to Knott's and see over 1,000 Mustangs and maybe fifty 49 - 59 Fords.  But now I take my 08 Shelby GT & park in the Shelby Corral and they are dedicated Ford people, too.  My wife really doesn't care for my Shelby, but she likes what I've done with the 57.  Took her to breakfast yesterday in the 57 and only had one complaint.  She asked when I was going to put some headrests on the car, to assist her with the neck snaps.  lol

Keep on, keeping on.

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Here's all the receipts for the entire trip. The total cost was under $300 dollars. I've not got all the miles on the sheet. There's 208 miles leaving and returning that I didn't count because of partial tanks that I didn't monitor.
  I talked to Lunati about making another cam for my 63 for better gas mileage but they said the cam I have is about as mild as they can go for the engine compression ratio ( 10.4 ). They suggested I get rid of the 2000-2200 rpm stall torque converter I have and go to a 1400 rpm torque converter first.
  If I don't loose money on the price of gas I'll lose it on the highway anyway. The trip to Carlisle over the I80 Ohio turnpike costs $15.50, the Pa turnpike coming back on I76 was $18.75 plus the $15.50 and 15 miles of the Indiana turnpike I80 was $.80. All told we spent $50.55 on toll roads.

Jerrys Kars

Nice meeting you JimNolan. Liked your ride. My rides are all drivers, so I can appreciate what you're doing with the 57. Carlisle sure is a fun place to hang out for a couple of days. I meet up with 20 or 30 of my car buddies from all over, and usually make a few new friends each yr.
Happy Motoring
Jerry

4banger

I was also entered at Ford Carisle. My 57 Ford Custom 300 took first place in the 427 Powered class R-159 I was located with the light weights, SOHC, and 406, 427 wedge class. I still can't believe I got first place. I went there to enjoy not to win. Sure some nice cars there. A great week end for me.

JimNolan

Congratulations 4banger,
     I just wish I could have seen your car. The motel we stayed at wouldn't let me leave Buffy (dog) at the motel for one day. We always did that in the past so we could roam around the grounds without carrying the dog. Walking up and down that hill gets old in a hurry when you're old and in a hurry.
   The nice thing about getting an award at Carlisle is that the people judging your car are all participants in the show and the fact that you drive your car is more of an asset. I value my awards at Carlisle and I'm humbled to win anything there. You won because you deserved it, I'm sure. Next year I'll make a point of seeing your car. Jim PS  Post a picture on this thread so everyone can see your car, including me.
  Jerry,
     It was nice meeting you also and seeing the pictures of your cars ( that should have been there, hint ). From the looks of the pictures you'd have been sitting inside that yellow tape line instead of me. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to stop and chat. When we finally got up there to have our picture taken the car looked like a lowrider. The back seat, floorboard and trunk were completely packed with cloths, what-in-nots, tents, chairs and tools. I can't go anywhere like a sane person, I've got to take everything but the kitchen sink. Maybe next year you can bring that Supercharged Custom. Jim