News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Went to my local pull-a-part yard today...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-06-13 21:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Went to Barry's U-Pull-It today to get a couple wiper transmissions for my daily driver 61 F100.  There was a `66 there, so I got them out of it pretty quicly since the dash was already stripped (yeah, it was a Custom Cab).  When I got done, my son and I just started walking around checking stuff out.  We were almost ready to go when I spotted a `96 Mustang, someone had put a V8 in, originally a V6 car, I think.  Anyway, as these cars are almost always stripped, I almost didnt look inside.  Of course the heads were gone, shortblock still there.  Then when I looked inside, I noticed the shifter stick  It had one of those little short Pro 5.0 sticks in it, but I figured it was just bolted to a stock shifter assembly.  I pulled the rubber boot off it, and man, it had a nearly brand new Pro 5.0 shifter in it.  I had it out in about 3 minutes.  I coudnt believe it, man that is a $200 shifter, and I got it for $15.00!  I may go back and pull the trans tomorrow and pop the top to see if its any good.  If it is, I can get it for $75.  Awesome day at the boneyard.  And I was getting ready to buy a new one too.  In case anyone is wondering, the Pro 5.0 shifter is about the best aftermarket shifter you can buy for a T5 or a Tremec trans.  I had one in the yellow car, and it was great.
Below is what it looks like, I'll get a pic of the one I bought later.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Heck, come to think of it, with all the other evidence of hot rod stuff on that car, I may go back and pull the cam and see if it is an aftermarket one, nice little roller for my F100 would be cool too.
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

Sounds like happy birthday to James!

57AGIN

James:

Talk about being in the right place at the right time and looking in the right spot.  I looked up the price of the 5.0Pro shifter for my TKO in the Summit catalog, over $200. What a deal!!!
James, I think that good things happen to good people.  Way to go.

Bob
57 AGIN

Custom300Madman

I'm hearing more and more about these 5.0 shifters. Does it just change to a shorter throw or what?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

JPotter57

short throw, positive stops so you dont over engage third gear and bend the shift fork.  See how it has the ring at the top with a bolt at the front and back?  The stock shifter has a big rubber bushing there, feels a bit more loose because of the rubber biscuit the shifter sits in.  Pro 5.0 doesn't have any of that.  Because of that, it is a little more noisy, but the difference in feel far outweighs that issue.
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

James, I try to go through the local Pull a Part at least ever two weeks, you just never know what you are going to run across. I bought two old alum slots not to long ago for 22 bucks. They have a section just for pre 1973 vehicles.
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

I always look at the 60's and 70's ford trucks, always check to see if any have the "mirror 105" FE block.   Most of those can take a 4.17 bore, or. 040 428 bore.  Since I dont have room to store any more complete engines, and dont want to build any std. 360-390 motors, I'll take all the bare blocks I can get for $45.
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

I found something interesting in a salvage yard yesterday...I was looking at late 90's/early 0's Mustangs to try and figure out a few things on the steering column I'm putting in my '57...I got to looking at the windshield washer reservoir and I think it would be a great system for our '57's. The tank itself locates on the wheel side of the wheel well with only the filler neck extending into the engine bay. The neat thing about the unit is the washer pump is very small and plugs into the bottom of the reservoir. I'm going to go back today (bring some tools this time) and pull it..and maybe the tubing fittings and nozzels.I'll post some photos when I get it.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

cool...I'm going back to see if that 5 speed is still there today..if it is, it will be mine.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Well, I got the trans, it is indeed a V8 trans, 95 model, so is one of the better ones, should live behind one of my 312s.  This brings me to three now.  I want to get the stuff to "pro-shift" one, with the face tooth gears instead of synchronizers.  It would only  be good for drag racing though, so I prob wont do it.  I will have to get another 87-93 input shaft, but altogether, it was another good day.
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Quite the score...$75 plus labor for T5.  When you're scanning the trucks, snag the 391 Medium Duty FEs.  They are some of the best FE blocks.  High nodule and re-enforced.  Most will sonic test for 428 bores.  Forged cranks sell well on eBay.  Most have windage trays in them.  Bigger oil pans and oil pickups.  In some parts of the country, check out irrigation pumps.  Some Ford industrial gas and LP engines were 428s with the good blocks.  I bought a couple out of Nebraska a couple a years ago.  LP engines usually have little wear.

JPotter57

I always check every FE just in case, lol...I'm a hoarder. what can I say.  By the way, I had that trans out in 10 minutes.  The driveshaft had already been cut out, and someone had taken the trans mount, left it sitting on the crossmember.
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Ditto on the great score James..hell of a deal. I also had a ggod day at the salvage yard. I picked up the washer reservoir/pump I talked about, and the neutral switch cable for my Mustang column. I really lucked out on one other item. They had a '03 ? Mustang with a tan laced leather steering wheel that is a dead match for the new tan color color I've been changing too as I go along. It also has 2 grey sections, but the grey is a little off..but works (maybe it is gray, and mine is grey d'ya think?)
Got the wheel, reservoir/pump, and the neutral switch for $55. I'm happy with that.
Rich
P.S...Dgasman told me in another thread I may have a shifter lockout cable, not a neutral switch. Ah I'm gettin tired...LOL maybe I shoulda rebuilt my car stock with the 6 cyl three on the tree.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, that style tank is pretty much the standard on all Fords, so much junk stuffed in the bay it needs to somewhere.  Will have to take a look in my wife's cars ans double check seems one has combination or maybe a pair of tanks. One for coolant overflow and the other for w/s washer fluid. With color coded caps. Or maybe that was on her company leased Honda. Hope you grabbed the squirters and all the t-fittings just replaced one on her fusion and lets just say they are mighty proud of that little piece of plastic. Will check my Ranger and see what's there. Some yards are funny the same part can say be found on a Focus or a Lincoln Navigator and if you say Navigator at the counter the price will reflect the marque parentage.

That wheel looks dead on perfect colorwise, believe you have the much more desired grey version.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72