News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Went to my local pull-a-part yard today...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-06-13 21:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Zap...I'm keeping my eyes open for a set of chrome nozzles, just about everything at the junk yard had the black plastic. I did see one set that was factory painted to match the car...may go back and get those if I can't find a set of chrome ones. I'm wondering if any of the vintage cars had chromed ones that are available repoped??
Here in Texas it doesn't take long for the sun to get to plastic stuff and make it brittle. I can get the tube fittings at o'reilly's etc. The mustang I pulled the reservoir from had just arrived at the yard, so the exposed tank was still in good shape.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

`Had a 67 sunbeam Alpine years ago, thinking it had chrome squirters. But they stuck up on top of the cowl or maybe those were on my TR3.  Datsun pickups 620 series had metal tubes about 3 inches long sat under the cowl vent area and shot thru one of the cowl slots. Were dirt cheap,bendable and are probably still available from Nissan. A visually pleasing non-plastic solution may not be available in newer cars.

When looking for something minor like that it pays off well to keep eyes open in mall parking lots. Amazing visual resources, and as long as one doesn't have the solution has to provided by Ford mentality the solutions are available everywhere. Am sure someone else will pipe in with another source.

That being said never will a sbc be installed in my 57, there is one in my 51 and it runs great, etc... just not going to happen on this build. There is a limit to my sense of vehicular diversity choices.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

glen b henderson

I made a trip to the local pull a part this morning, found the following interesting stuff.
1- 1954 F1 with a complete 239 y block (less carb), turns over, looks like it would start with a carb.
2- 1973 Torino with a cleveland, still has the spindles and disk brakes.
3- 1966 F100, some decent body parts, good windshield, it's got a late model scrub engine in it.
4- a couple of 60's scrubs with 283's and pg's

I am going back to get the 66 windshield and the front axle and steering gear from the 54. I'll try to get the torino spindles if someone wants them. I hate too pass up the 239 y block (because it is so clean and complete), but I just don't need it. All in all a good morning in the junk yard.
Freedom is not Free

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-06-16 11:21
`when looking for something minor like that it pays off well to keep eyes open in mall parking lots. Amazing visual resources, and as long as one doesn't have the solution has to provided by Ford mentality the solutions are available everywhere. Am sure someone else will pipe in with another source.

LOL...good idea Zap...and I could always follow them home to see where they lived.

Lou

Rick, 55 Fords had a chrome dubble nozel, I still think you can get them NOS from old Ford parts dealers.

RICH MUISE

SkylinerRon

Re: FE's   105's need a sonic check at 4.09" or more. About 1 in 10 will go to 4.13. They are prone to split do to core shift on most blocks. 
The ribs give a little extra strength but, the iron is the same mix as earlier blocks. The FT blocks have the good steel cranks but, the cost to machine to use in a pass block is about the same as a new aftermarket forged crank. The D2TE truck heads are  good to modify for street/strip also.
For lots of good FE info go to the feforum.com
Goodluck,
Ron.

RICH MUISE

Had another good day at the salvage yard today. First I found not one but 2 low profile scissors jacks with larger than normal bases out of Cadilac sevilles. 10 bucks each. I also found some seat risers out of a Pontiac mini van. One local yard wanted 100 bucks a pair..I asked him twice if he understood what I was talking about. I found these for 20 bucks for the pair.
I also found a set of 3 (only 2 shown in pic) really neat air/heat vents. It is really hard finding either round or oval vents. These adjust up and down, left and right, and can be closed off if wanted. I fortunatly thought to pull the duct where they attached out also, because they were easily adapted from the rectangle to the 2" round that I needed. I just cut off the excess, used a piece of 2" exhaust pipe and a hose clamp and heated the plastic with a heat gununtil I could slip the pipe in, then heated it almost to the point of melting and tightened the hose clamp. Now comes the hard part...cutting the oval shape in my lower dash panel.

RICH MUISE

Also..the steering wheel I talked about earlier..I got it cleaned up, and redyed it to match everything, and covered the center. I'm really happy with it now..and no Mustang emblem on it. I may add a Ford blue oval. Tommorrow I'll clear coat the column covers I've redyed, and get them put on. I did also replace the active airbag with one that had been deployed...just didn't feel comfortable with the active one still in there. I filled the cavity left by the removed airbag with dense foam to give the facing the substance it needs to function properly.
Three things I noticed on the Pontiac mini van that could be real useful. The wiring harness that ran all the way to the back was in a heavy snap together wire channel. That wire bundle had 52 wires in it (I counted them out of curiosity) of different colors and gages. I figure the wires in it had to be 12 or 15 feet long. I asked on the way out if they would mind me just cutting out that wire bundle with the channel. He said I could have it for 15 bucks. I think it was gerald that was looking for a source for different colored wires a month or so ago...and I'm guessing from the feel of the wire that the factories don't use the cheap primary wire found in all auto supply stores.
The other thing I noticed was the spring loaded electrical contacts on the sliding doors. The van I looked at had 9 contacts on each door....(I've got 2 contacts on my door for the electric windows)

RICH MUISE

Well, the vents I posted a pic of a few days ago aren't going to work unless I put them in a pod under the dash, which I was trying to avoid.There is too much ducting because of the close-off flapper in them...and just not enough room. I have my gen 1v unit mounted closer to the front and passenger side than would normally be required to allow access to the wiper motor, and the vent ducts won't clear the unit.

Ford Blue blood

Rich check out the Mustang round vents(05-08), they close and turn for direction and look like they may not require a bunch of room behind them.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Round was initially what I was looking for...I'll check them out..may be tough finding one in a salvage yard though.

cool57

Do you know what year Seville? (your build is looking good) :004:

RICH MUISE

Cool57: I didn't check but I'm guessing mid to late 90's. The Jacks are under the spare tire in the trunk floor.
Bill....checked some pics on ebay of 05-08 Mustangs...now the hunt is on to find some. Thanks.
P.S. I was told the same year f100's had the same vents as Mustangs

shopratwoody

You Guys are having way to much fun in the junkyards. I used to go on a regular basis.
Fun times, and bought a lot of stuff whether I needed it or not. :003:
I hate blocksanding!