News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Spam warning!

Started by Zapato, 2012-06-17 11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Today I received an e-mail from one of our members, but it really wasn't from him. Someone stole his e-mail contact list and I received a diet/weight loosing spam e-mail. Luckily so far no problems have surfaced on my computer. Have rechecked my security settings and added and used a new anti-virus program available from Microsoft. My advise is to be careful when opening e-mail, I'm thinking of adding an asterisk * in my subject box so that anything I send out will be recognized by my contacts and dumped before opening.

I came under cyber attack 2 weeks ago, after opening another e-mail, slowed my computer horribly. Luckily no apparent permanent issues after running several scans.

Was told years ago (by a computer security tech) and have no way of proving its effectiveness. That in order to protect your contact list from being taken was to add a non-functioning name at the top of my list.   So as an example      aaaaaaaa@aaaaaaaa   it supposedly confuses the search then will jump to the next name of the previously stolen list that you are on.

How they knew I need to loose weight is a question for the ages.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Same thing happened to me a week or so ago.  Second time in a year.  Changed my pass word both times and that was the end.  Not sure how it got out there but it did.  I did log onto my email at my sister's place while on trips both times, warned her to check it out, she has not goten back to me.  No issues with the computer or any other things related to the computer.  I never open emails with no subject line.  Folks I correspond with always put a subject line (or they have in the past) and know if it ain't there it ain't opened.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

mine had a subject that didn't appear suspicious and fitting for whom it came from.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

opened several e-mails from members saying they got a suspicious e-mail, posibly from me. Now my computer is doing weird things. We have monthly service from mcafee, and is scanned automatically and frequently. At any rate, I'm not sending solicitations for diet pills. Fortunatlely, I haven't sent many emails, and don't keep a contact list, but apparently computers keep a memory bank of  sent emails. After the trouble started reading a few emails, I didn't open one from ROKuberski (sp?)...I know it is Rich from Denver..if it was anything other than letting me know of the above problem, please resend with a subject line. I'm going to change my password on my email account as suggested.
Rich
update:rebooted my computer, everything seems normal. Bill, I had an email 'from you' subject matter:"HEY". McCaffee blocked it from opening..said it had malicious software. Anyway, the trouble I was having was not being able to delete e-mails, but after rebooting, deleting was normal.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich that would have been it.  Only thing I can put my finger on is my sister's computer.  The spam happened two days after being there and logging in there.  I have McAfee also and am fairly pleased with them, not sure what my sister has on hers, but the spam filter did not sort yours out because you are in my contact list.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Rich, one has to wonder how much money the yahoos that come up with these invasion type programs would make if they used their talents for good.

Now about those "diet pills" just want to go on record as I told my doctor at my annual check-up regarding my weight "its a family tradition".

Zapato

tarheel57

Well whatever virus was going around some how ended up on my computer also.Has been down about a week.Everything would come up and work for about 3 minutes then a message would appear on the screen saying the computer would shut down in one munite.Thought it had really messed it up for good,but  my wife was able to wipe everything out and reinstall windows.The bad thing was we werent able to save my pictures and stuff.Tarheel57