News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mechanical vs electric fuel pump. To change?

Started by rxsuperhero, 2012-06-21 20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

rxsuperhero

I'm in the process of getting the car down on wheels when...I hooked the gas tank back up, after cleaning it out, started the car and I'm not getting any gas to the carburetor...

The point:  Do you advise me to switch the fuel pump

Considerations:
I'm ready to see the car on the road and I really don't want to get started on ANOTHER small project but if I have to then I'd like to get it done asap and easily. 
Would switching the old mechanical pump with a new mechanical pump be sufficient?
Electric pump questions; how much?  What model?  Installation guidelines (newbie) for car with electronic ignition?

Did I forget anything dumb like - do I need to prime the fuel line?

rmk57

If your car is a just a driver I would stick with a mechanical fuel pump. The external pumps, like Holley blue pumps make a lot of noise and it's not worth it on a daily driver. Did you try priming the fuel bowls before trying to start? I use a turkey baster to fill the fuel bowls through the vents then work the throttle until gas squirts out the shooters. After that you should be good to go. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

Make sure the gas line is clear as well.  Easy way is to blow air back through the line with the gas cap off.  If the fuel pump is not primed it will take a couple of fire ups to get it to start pulling gas really well.  Fill the bowls as rmk57 said or splash a little gas into the carb and crank it.  If all is well a couple of shots of gas in the carb should put you in business.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rxsuperhero

Thanks for the advice.  I'll stick to the mechanical version.  New ones shouldn't be hard to find.

rxsuperhero

So I'm looking for a new mechanical pump when...

The model I currently have is this (AIRTEX Part # 6523  Mechanical Fuel Pump w/Elec. Wiper (cylinder shaped)

I don't have elec wipers I have vacuum wipers...which puts me at the alternate pump model (spherical shaped)

Is the model that I have in my car wrong?