News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

paint

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-06-25 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i just got sticker shock,     went to get a quart each of the diff colors on my conv,  one is called comberland green and the other willow green,  to a place called Painters supply,   and its not just this co,  its probly all painter supply places,   anyway,  they wanted 90 bucks a quart,   just for the heck of it i asked how much my candy apple red would cost for the mustang,  $170,    good thing its only for a back u;p ioncase i needed it so i guess i'll hold off until i REALLY NEED IT,   i guess its time to get a pencil painter so i don't waste as much,    just some thoughts going thru my head and wanted to pass it on.    Jerry

Ford Blue blood

Funny thing about paint....several years ago while in the car building business I was often asked to quote paint jobs.  Most folks just do not understand the manhours and price of paint required BEFORE the first top coat lid is even poped off the can!  They still have visions of the 400 buck "nice" paint job their buddy got.  When you tell someone the materials for a paint job along will be in the 1500 - 2500 range they look at you like your head is spinning.....not going to get any less expensive either!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

aside from the Epoxy primer which I can't remember what I paid or how much I used, I've got 3 1/2 gallons of hi build at 250. gallon, 1 3/4 gallons basecoat at 250 gallon and 3 gallons clear at around 275 gallon. As you said Bill..about 2 grand plus.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

With my finished car, my painter included photographs of the restoration and every bill for materials that was bought. That makes it nice when your friends say " you paid what for that paint job and restoration ". As long as you are informed you'll never lose sleep thinking you were robbed. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

Just brought home a gallon of PPG build primer with catalyst...$335

lowrider

Had to get a qt. of each color to do some work on my 57 and with the clear & other needed supplies it came to 300$. Purchased my paint at Painters Supply in Howell.

geraldchainsaw

to lowrider,     back in 59 i painted my first car,  guessd whwre i got my paint?,  painters supply,   he was just starting out in the business world, he started in Lincoln Park michigan,   he had a store that wasn't more then 25' wide and 40' long,  gone a long way since,  from what i've heard he dosen't even give the employies a discount,   and guess hes a multi millionair now

Roger

I ordered my paint from  a place called THE COATING STORE online.I got a gallon of ford code T candy apple red and 1 gallon med solid clear w/the activator and reducer all for $189. I got a gallon of snow white and gallon of clear w/activator and reducer for $169.I heard that this paint is made by PPG and my painter said it went on like PPG does.It has been on a little over a year and still has a good deep shine.You can also get a High solid clear for a little more.If you want to check it out here is the link to their site.
http://www.thecoatingstore.com/