News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mini me '57

Started by gasman826, 2012-07-29 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

rmk57

I'm lookin at the guy that got the fan blade in the head, what an awful way to go. Probably not impossible but a lot tougher to do with a hood that opens backwards.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: rmk57 on 2012-07-29 21:16I'm lookin at the guy that got the fan blade in the head..
   When I was a kid my '47 Ford with a '53 flathead threw a fan blade.   Late night, the middle of the winter, about 15 below zero outside & sort of out in the boonies.  Romped on it hard leaving an intersection & hit ice.  Revved way up & BOOM!  Hood jumped up, steam started coming out the front of the car.  WTF?!

Fan blade poked a hole in the hood & busted things up pretty good, including the radiator, & broke the front off of the aluminum 3 duce intake manifold where the generator & the suddenly way out of balance 3 blade fan mounted.  Judging from some rust at the break the blade must have been cracked for a long time.
That was about 1963-64, every since then I make sure I'm not standing in the path of the fan when messing around under the hood & revving the engine. 

Ford Blue blood

As a youngster I saw the slot a fan blade cut into a hood, it was the perfect shape of the blade with the edges curled up ever so slightly....made a lasting impression on me.  Not real sure why because there was no discussion, just the fact the fan had come apart.  Also had a cheap lesson with respect to using starting fluid.  Friend was sitting on the radiator support of the car he and another fellow were trying to start up.  I was running the ignition switch.  They used close to the entire can of eather when all of the sudden there was a loud bang.  The stuff had filled up the crank case and then blew, the oil fill cap let go and hit him on the inside of his left leg, about an inch from the jewels, rupture the vein and off to the emergency room we go.  That too was in the "young, stupid and bullet proof" days.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Mark

I'd like to find a car like that !

wildhog

mark,I am over in Rockton Il. Not to far from you.
I know where there is a 57 pedal car., but the price is high, I have thought about buying it and re making the bodies in fiberglass.

I know where there is a car, but
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

gasman826

wildhog

Well, Boys it looks like I am going to buy the 57 mini car, and will look into seeing if a mold could be made of the body, and cast a few in fiberglass. The frame and other parts should not be hard to make. Tom

Lou

The mold could be made of fiberglass, just make sure the body is almost flawless and you used a lot of mold release. Once you cut the negative off the body you can reinforce it.

wildhog

Lou. I have never tryed to work with fiberglass, I have a lot to learn and am not really sure where to begin. Time will tell if this is worth the trouble! Tom

JPotter57

I'd like to have one or two if you do it Tom...keep me posted.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wildhog

James, I will talk to you at Columbus, where are you staying? Any thing you are looking for? Tom