News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tailgate question

Started by Matt, 2012-08-09 07:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I have read most of the posts here about tailgates.  From what I understand is the Ranchero and station wagon tailgates are the same for 57 and the 58 Rancheros.  However, can you use the Ranchero tailgate on the wagons?  What about all the locking mechanisms?  I would assume the Rancheros didn't have a locking mechanism.

Also, does anyone make reproduction full fenders?

Ford Blue blood

No to the fenders.  The basic sheet metal is the same for the wagon and Ranchero.  The side latches are the same as is the handle.  The "bull" covers the key hole on Rancheros.  There is a fill piece that screws to the top of the gate to hide the latch holes and make up the distance for trim alignment.  The inside cover is different between the wagon (smooth) and the Ranchero (ribbed like the bed floor).  The latches for the lift gate on the wagon and it's assiciate hardware are unique to the wagon.  Most all of what you need to go either way is available.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Matt

Thank you for the info.  I have been searching salvage yards across the country and haven't been able to find a replacement tailgate.  I can't believe how difficult they are to find.

shopratwoody

Recently I need a tailgate due to a wreck. Had to buy one with some rust and skinned it from the handle
down. The bodyman used plain sheetmetal.
I hate blocksanding!

Matt

I'm thinking that is what I will need to do.  My has several holes on the lower portion and what appears to be a large section with Bondo.  The person who had the car before me did some poor repairs (i.e. riveting patch panels onto the fenders).