News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

progress on the console

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-11-27 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Got my console reworked,straightened up a bit, and recovered. I still have to bolt it to the dash, and make the glovebox and cover, but it's headed in the right direction. Of course, there's always a step backwards or two. The color on the radio is not working, and the seat needs to be moved an inch or so outboard. I need to add a few switches, and another 12v outlet, but I was anxious to see how it looked in the car recovered.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   It is obvious that you have great talent! The console looks great! I like the radio, where did you get it? I'm looking for a white or silver one for mine. Agian it looks great, I wish I had that much talent!
Thanks for the look,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Tim...we had a thread going on this a while back..I thought I had found the ideal radio..bluetooth was a must and either silver or a beige. The radio I bought in all pictures by 3 or 4 vendors was a taupie beige, but when I received it it was actually a light gray. Thought about sending it back, but decided the gray might work...I just wasn't going to know for sure till I got the console recovered..which was this morning. Anyway, there is next to nothing for printing on the gray parts, so I think with alot of careful masking I can use sems dye to refinish it.
Now to answer your question on where you can find them...do a search on ebay for marine radios. They are the same as car radios but with added features, and many are available in black, white silver, etc. unlike car audio stuff which nowadays is only available in black.I got mine from roadentertainment.com

RICH MUISE

a little update. I got the console bolted to the dash eliminating the fitment issues I had. I still need to make support brackets for the lower gray panels that will push the panels into the console, so all of the gaps will be eliminated. I made a glove box door to replace the funky looking glovebox I had originaly installed. I dissasembled the drivers seat and started cleaning, painting and redying. played with some new stuff for the Ford Logo that worked pretty well, colors are a little brighter. tommorrow I'll go back over the logo on the passenger seat so they'll match. Got the passenger seat moved outwards where I had put it originally. Tommorrow while I'm waiting for paint and dyes to dry, I'll get the drivers seat channels installed. They are the ones I'm using electrical/mechanical "super strt" for...working out great.

RICH MUISE

and a few of drivers seat in progress. Top photo is before dyeing. I think sometime down the road I want to change to a lower back front seat. I couldn't remember what year Eclipse mine came out of, so I started looking on ebay to find some inentical ones just for the records on the car( they are '93)...but in doing so I think I found my next seats. Check these out...'95 Eclipse, nothing said in ad for the car about being custom, so I think I'll start looking now. Really neat thing is about the back seat that I custom formed the side panels to match...The 95 Eclipse should be a bolt in replacement for a perfect fit.

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Wirenut

Great work Rich, very impressive :icon_bigsmurf:

redshoes57

When can I drop my 57 off and when would it be ready for pick up?

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Man, this sure ain't "OVERHAULIN'"!...seems to go so slow at times. I did have an awesome experience last night though....finally got my driver's seat redone and installed. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was the first time in about 5 years that I could actually sit in the driver's seat and hold on to a steering wheel! I can't imagine what it's going to feel like when I can do that and reach down and start her up.
Rich

RICH MUISE

a few more progress shots. I've got a one piece thingy that covers the package shelf and comes down on both sides to meet the arm rests. Tommorrow I'll get it recovered and put in place. I can't do a permanent install of it until the rear window is in place. Speakers will be replaced with something I can fabric cover making them a little less prominent

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   I am speechless, that is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Thanks Tim...I really do appreciate the comment. It's been a tedious project with a lot of up and downs. My lack of upholstery skills and a tight budget has me in a spot where I'm really happy with the overall looks of the interior (still not sure about the high back front seats though), but a few areas are not where I can be totally happy with. example: look at the back of the console glove box cover visable in the 1 st shot of the rear seat. had I not wanted the cover padded, I could have stretched the vinyl with no wrinkles as I did on the console. I'm having the same problem with the rear package shelf I tried to restretch last night, and had to walk away from in frustration. I think the only way I'll be happy, is to plan on finishing it as best as I can, and then down the road after the car is driveable, and I'm in the redoing things I'm not happy with stage, bring it to an upholstery shop and have them redo it with sewn seams. I could have an upholstery shop redo the pieces now, but I don't want to take $ away from stuff I need to get it on the road.
Thanks again
Rich

RICH MUISE

here's a pic of a fitting before final stapling of the gray vinyl to see where it needs trimming. The 3rd brake light when screwed in will pull the piece down against the seats.

gasman826

Console cover -- sometimes too much padding can be a bad thing.  You know...you need that cover padded if you want the wife to sit next to you.

Man, that's one clean back window!!!!!!

Go in the utility closet or the basement and see if the wife has a drapery steamer.  Steal it and use it to steam (heat without burning) the wrinkles.  If she does not have one, check the neighbors.  Lowes has them for around $50.00.  Save the box and re-gift it to the wife for Christmas!!!  Two birds...one stone.  I'm surprised you got this far without one. 

Great looking job!!!!!

Your approach to upholstery work is like my approach to body and paint.  I've done the best that I could.  After I drive the car, if I don't like it...take it to the professionals.

RICH MUISE

I didn't think a steamer would work on vinyl..??? We do have one..tried it on the headliner, but that didn't work there either because it was a synthetic fabric, which usually shrinks with heat, but this didn't..had to get the wrinkles out the hard way. That glove box cover is also an armrest, thus the padding. Down the road I may redo it removing the padding but adding on a seperate padded "block" (for lack of a better word).
I like your thinking though on the two birds with one stone Christmas gift.
Back window glass? LOL..I'm still waiting on our local classic car glass guru to have enough time to install it.