News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Price of rubber, etc...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-12-02 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Guys, I just ordered the rear window rubber, the qtr window rubbers (70D), the door seals, and a couple other assorted seals, still dont have the anti-rattl kits yet...get this: $502 for that stuff, and I still dont have 1/2 of what I need to get the doors together.  Talk about sticker shock.

On a better note, I got all the trim holes welded up on my driver side door.  Not sure if I mentioned it before, but at some point., the DS door was replaced with one from a back `58 Custom 300.  I had to weld up 15 trim holes, plus weld in a patch in the lower rear corner.  Now, I have to strip off a repaint from the inside jamb of the door, then I can start filling, sanding, priming and blocking on that dude.  My driver side door is nearly done, just have to shoot some more primer and block for a couple weeks.  My trunk lid needs some trim work to fit properly, being a glass unit from Crites, not bad at all.  Beats the heck outa fixing rust.  Got my Torq Thrusts the other day, of course had to try them on.  Will get pics when my phone is off the charger.  My 15x7 steelies are painted gloss black and mounted to my M/T ET Streets.  As soon as I find a set of 15X7 Torq Thrust II with the proper backspacing I will get a pair of those for the back for regular driving, and keep the steelies for the track. 

Finally, my 312 is going into the machine shop tomorrow, should come back with a fresh .030 bore, some of Mummert's rods and pistons, Mummert intake, a set of "G" heads until I get all my F-Code Paxton stuff rounded up, then a set of modified "471" heads will go on with the Paxton.  Can't wait for that.  Hopefully, by the first of the year, the car will be close to ready for paint, then maybe by spring, running with 312 power.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

why not aluminum heads?

:burnout:

RICH MUISE

Your moving right along on it James. I forgot if your is a Custom or a Custom 300. Which side trim, if any, are you going with. It seems like a number of guys with 300's want to change to the shorter trim. That's what a buddy in town here is doing, and Jeff Norwell I think also. I almost went the other way..more options with two toning I think.
I had well over a grand tied up in rubber for mine, and I bought most of it 5 or 6 years ago. That included the new body mounts, but of course, no tires. Last year when I bough new tires for my Jeep, tires had just gone up 45-50 per tire almost all brands. Rubber shortage??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

The price of rubber follows the price of oil. I had to put new tires on my panel truck last year, 10.5 x 15 x 31's They are up to $190 each. I've bought rubber parts for it from Macs, so I also used them to order a few for the 57, doesn't seem like they have increased them much.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

That and "uncle sugar" looking out for the U.S. tire manufacturers has place an import duty on all rubber and rubber produces from overseas.  That being said, the rubber for the 62 Bird I did cost me close to 2K in 2004.  It ain't cheap to play......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

X2 on the $1000.00.  My order from Steele was over $1000.00 (less body mounts/insulator kit) a couple of years ago.  I ordered early just to make sure everything was available.

$1200.00 for glass...$2000.00 just for finish products (sealer, base, clear)...$1000 in rubber...$500.00 wiring...$1000 AN hose and fittings...$1800.00 ATL fuel cell...$1000 Weldon fuel pump, regulator, and controller (not counting filters).  Just a few of the things that could easily be overlooked when doing the budget.  If you are one of those that does a budget.  If I had done a budget, I would probably be still driving the '57 as a beater.

TIRES.........five years ago I bought new Goodyear Titan industrials for the rear of my backhoe.  I sliced one up the other day.  Five years ago, $500 and change plus tax, labor, freight, disposal....per tire.  Last week my bill for one was $1200 and change plus tax, labor, freight, disposal, fuel surcharge....!!!!!!!!!!!  My income sure as hell has not doubled in the last five years!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry......I vent.....must be Monday

hiball3985

Your income hasn't doubled and neither has anyone else. But oil company profits have  :angry5:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JPotter57

Yeah, I'm nowhere near through buying rubber...just what I need at this moment.  I still have a lot left to buy, just glad this isnt a hardtop or convert.  Dad's Falcon convert top seals are over $800 by themselves..
Besides, I'm about out if money again for a bit...

Allan, $2300 is the answer to that question.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Boy, I just can't let this price of rubber thing go.  Have you seen what you get for a taillight lens gasket?  The OEM was a 1/4" thick cork gasket.  The replacement is wimpy 1/8" foam at best.  The OEM screws hit the shoulder and the lens is loose.  NOS tail light lens gaskets...anybody?