News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Probie

Started by Carsavior, 2012-12-23 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Re$urrected57

Welcome Aboard and Good Luck with your project.  Great reason for a build.

Frankenstein57

My 57 has similar rust on the windshield gutter, the hinge area is good. When I cut up my brothers ranchero I saved those sections for a donor, didn't get the hinge area. The cowl/gutter is a two layer design, I'm thinking of carefully drilling the spot welds and removing the outer layer. This could take awhile...... Mark

Carsavior

Did not notice my location is not on profile.  I am in West Monroe Louisiana.  Tried to post pic of my dad's 57,but it is not the correct format to post.

Carsavior

This one will go to redi strip after i get the main metal patches in place.  I sent my Challenger there, and it is really great working on one afterwards. Its clean- no rust, no paint, you start with what the factory had back in the day (except for the dents).  I plan on clipping the frame, maybe with something from fatman.  This will be a true cruiser, not hi-po but comfortable.  Surprising how important that is after you hit 50.  Anyone around W Monroe LA hit me up- maybe we can meet up for lunch- won't be in the 57 for a while tho.  -Pat

gasman826

Clipping a '57 frame is not really necessary.  A '57 will always be limited to a modest 'G' machine at best but the front suppension design is modern enough to ride and handle pretty decent with a few upgrades.  There are successful rack and pinion kits, modern power steering box replacements, bigger and better sway bars, several disc brake kits, multiple spring choices, and a bunch of bushing and ball joints upgrades.  The frame itself could use some more welding.  If you are stuck on a Mustang II type front end, the clip would be the way.  If you do the front clip, go all in and get a rear clip and weld the two together.  Way cheaper than Art Morrison.  Price and effort, I would lean toward keeping it '57.  But hot rodding is about your vision and using what you have.

RICH MUISE

I agree. Fatman did not make a clip for the '57's for many years. Their reason was any minor improvements over oem a new clip might have was not worth the effort and expense.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Carsavior

Thats a sweet looking frame.  I'll have to look into the suspension products available.  All for saving money when I can.

Limey57

Quote from: Carsavior on 2012-12-24 21:08
Here's what's rusted.  Around the tab coming off the top of the fender.  Pass side has a little rust there, but not anything like this...

My Ranchero had rusted out just there.  I just drilled out the spot welds to seperate the panels & rebuilt it from the inner panel outwards, see my buld thread for photos.  My body shell had been dipped so all paint had been removed making it easier to see the damage.  I don't recommend chemical dipping though, it can cause more problems than it solves if not done properly.
Gary

1957 Ranchero