News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Not wanting to move

Started by quickas01, 2014-11-20 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

quickas01

I have a 57 Vicky which has been standing for over a year. It still runs and has a 62 390 and stock manual trans with overdrive. I recently started it and went to move it, The brakes seemed to be locked. I have checked them and all is free even though they are inoperative. The vehicle was drivable when I purchased it. Any suggestions as to what is locking things up, I have fiddled with the overdrive to know avail. I have never had anything to do with a overdrive before and do not wish to damage anything. It will move with a lot of throttle but something is not right.

Limey57

I'd pull the drums and free everything off, did you leave the parking brake on when it was laid up?  if so, its worth checking the cables to see if the inner has seized to the outer and also if any of the linkages have seized.  I also replace all of the wheel cylinder rubbers and change the fluid on any car that's been laid up for a while.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Be sure you have the overdrive cable pulled all the way OUT so it locks in conventional drive, trying to reverse in OD will destroy it. If you are pulling forward then it shouldn't be a problem unless the handle is pushed in and something in the electrical circuit is keeping it engaged in overdrive, then FIRST gear OD will be like taking off in SECOND gear
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

Put it in neutral and see if you can push it.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

rmk57

Check the pressure plate hasn't stuck itself to the flywheel.  Happens to my stick shift cars after they have sat for a long period.
Put your foot firmly on the brake and crank the engine, it should release if that's the problem.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

Another thing. let the car sit for a while without putting your foot on the brake. Then get in it and try moving it without applying the brake first. The  rubber brake hose on the front two wheels might have collapsed causing the fluid to trap pressure to the wheel cylinders. In time they bleed off.

quickas01

All brakes are free, It will idle in neutral no problem. I can push it forward but heavy. can push it rewards by sort of jerking it a few inches at a time. Think I will drop the drive shaft and get it on the lift to check out the overdrive. I have a spare manual trans and may swap it out. Hopefully this will be a short term fix. Thank you all for your help.

RICH MUISE

Good idea with dropping the driveshaft...that'll seperate a brake problem from a drivetrain problem.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

At first I couldn't see it being the transmission. But. I took my 57 with the T-85 OD to Gulfport for the Cruise on year and put it on the track. I pulled my OD handle out so it would be in OD and drag raced it that way. I tried to power shift it and had problems clashing gears from 1st to second. The second time I run the car I made it off the track and started back when the transmission just started acting as a brake. I was coming to a halt without applying the brake. I quickly pushed the OD handle in and it went away. I made it back to Indiana with the syncronizer pawls messed up. So yes, I've seen it do just exactly what you're talking about.

clusterbuster

Let us know what you find. Would be interesting to know. Good luck.