News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Thunder Road follow up

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-01-06 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

As most of you know, the young man that played the part of Robert Mitchum's brother in Thunder Road  was actually his son Jim.   He and his buddy Bill had a lot to do with the 50th year Thunder Road reunion and now this is their new enterprise.  If at all possible I would like to get away and show up for this with my 57 custom.
    Bill built a TR clone car to replace the 50 Ford that got blown up in the movie.  It has a Y block with trips and is running my old  Borg Warner T85 transmission.  They are also working on a Thunder Road  TV series.
   I'll keep you informed as they give me the latest information.

Jay:
Attached is the billboard that is being placed on I-40 outside of Pigeon Forge, Tenn. We plan to have the grand opening sometime in the Spring. I will keep you advised. We could always use a good 57 Revenuer to help celebrate the occasion. Take care and stay safe in 2015.

RICH MUISE

Super....they need to build a chain of those with little museums in each. Along rt 66, even though the theme/locale is different.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BP57CUSTOM

I love it ! looks like a road trip this spring.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Zapato

Jay, why are they using a 49 on the billboard if the movie car was a ''50'' and actually a 51 with a 50 hood and grille? As far as the engine am guessing it was typical Hollywood smoke and mirrors. Hope they make a go out of this new enterprise. Will it be just a distillery or also have a pub/tasting room?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Zap
   So you noticed that also..  I can clearly remember the color change of the car during the movie and the 51 dashboard just before it got blown up.  This was the reply that they gave me.   Click  on the link below with the paper clip.  That's the best I can do.  Jay

Jay:
You are correct my car is black as was the 50 Ford in the opening scene of Thunder Road. After the roll over in the first scene (which was not intended) the Ford was quickly painted light gray and remained that color throughout the movie until it was blown up in a later scene. A picture of mine is attached. The Ford on the billboard is red and is an artist rendering designed to attract the attention of passers-by. You can post it if you wish and maybe someone will stop by next time they are in Tennessee!

djfordmanjack

well-oh-well... that Shoebox looks all business. Jay, when you go there please beware of your old driving habits. your white 70A sure looks more like the cop car to me and that box will never have a chance to get away from your 2x4 312 anyways.... :002: :003:

hiball3985

Jay, you know me and billboards  :003: I can picture a new one in the future
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-01-06 18:40
Jay, you know me and billboards  :003: I can picture a new one in the future

Jim I know how you feel about the BW T85   and you have to give me credit for keeping the the one that I had in several cars over 50 years ago still in service.