Progressive rate springs? Thread modified by OP please re-read

Started by Zapato, 2015-09-03 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-09-14 21:18
Why not just call Eaton, tell them what you want and let them make you a pair.
They have been making them for decades.

Thought about doing that, however not sure about them anymore. specially when the told me that Aerostar springs would raise my car up when everyone that has done that has said the exact opposite. Just doesn't make sense that they would say that but they did. My neighbor's brother works for Benz spring across the river and they've also been around since Studebaker was building wagons so if he would give me a straight answer.............. well lets just say he's a bit flaky.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

got a break in the paint prep. today and couldn't stand the suspense so I went out, jacked the car up and loosened all the control arm mounting points. it didn't make any difference in the ride height. Don't remember where I bought my springs but do remember they only offered one so I could have the heaviest spring that ford offered, that is if it is even built to a ford spec. So, I am going to get a set of Moog springs coming. When I get them in I will be able to tell exactly what they did for my car. I think I can take a 3 inch drop from where I am right now but we will see.

57 imposter

Got my Moog springs today.  They are really short. I won't be able to put them for a few days but I am sure there are spring spacers in my future. I guess it's easier to raise it than it is to lower it.

57 imposter

So, i installed the Aerostar springs and my measurement from the fender lip to  the spindle went from 15 1/2 to 11" even. I put a 1" spacer on top of the spring and it came up to 12 1/2.. I know I am going to get somewhere between 1/2 and 1" of settling so I am not going to do anything for probably a month and see where I am. The spacers don't fit in the shock towers like I would like but good enough to get a final thickness I need. We will then machine some out of UHMW and that should fix the problem. The picture is where the front is sitting right now. don't think I want it any lower so the final adjustment will probably be up. Anyway, anybody who tells you that those springs will raise your car 2" is confused. 

RICH MUISE

It's nice to have a Guinea Pig...thanks Doug. The rake looks perfect. With my lighter weight engine, I may not even need the spacers. What are the height measurements at the front and back of the rockers?
Is that primer or matte paint?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I think the reverse shackles are adding to the rake but the front is pretty low. Are those Plymouth wheels?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Doug's front measurement of 12 1/2 is  just a 1/4" lower than Rob's wagon.

57 imposter

not sure i am completely happy with the rear end but feel its a waste of time to do anything else until the coils have had a chance to settle  the good thing is if anything has to be done with the front, it will be to raise it a bit and that is the easy part. The wheels are just Wheel Vintiques steel smoothies. I have a set of new Torque Thrust D wheeles waiting to go on as soon as the painter is thru.

RICH MUISE

jfyi......I did find out that the 6 leaf option on the rear springs do raise the rear 1" higher than a new 4 leaf would due to the fact they are arched differently. I ordered them because he told me the ride would be somewhat equivalent, but there will be less leaning in the rear with the 6 leaf. I figure if the new rear springs raise it too much, I can add lowering blocks and have the best of both worlds. LOL...there's probably a flaw in that reasoning somewhere that I'm not aware of. If I don't have to use lowering blocks, I'll also have the advantage of the axel dropping down an additional inch for tire changes, and if I go to the '55 year shocks, the higher spring rate should help keep the car from bottoming out on the shock travel( yep, I realize I'm also gonna probably lose another inch of shock travel with the 6 leaf springs with no lowering blocks)
So, Doug, there's probably no chance of meeting in Phoenix in 2 1/2 weeks?

lalessi1

Rich, I am seriously think about using Aerostar springs on my car, I like the higher spring rate for handling. I like the 6 leaf springs from McVeigh for the same reason but raising the rear is not desirable for me. Lowering blocks will work but I am thinking about asking for an arch job that will lower the car. Will McVeigh do that? The only negative with lower blocks that I can think of is that may aggravate the tendency to axle hop (besides the wheel changing thing).
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I'm not sure if McVeighs can make modified springs. I do know they have the facilities to mfg. U-bolts, so he's not just a retail store. Also, the springs are made by Dayton.
I'm sure Eaton could though.

hiball3985

I wouldn't hesitate using the 6 leafs in a custom but it will ride a little harsher especially on bumps but that is a trade off for better handling etc. Remember the Ranchero was rated with a load capacity the same as a 1/2 ton pickup. Something I forgot to do was measure the big bearings when I had my axles out to compare them to my 1/2 ton truck bearings, I wonder if they are the same?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

"Back in the day" I had a truck frame repair shop (they re-arched leaf springs) add two leaves to my Fairlane rear springs. I didn't know that Ford put 6 leaf springs on wagons and Rancheros then. They worked out very well, they raised the rear end and stopped the axle hop I was having. 
Lynn