News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

identity crisis

Started by racton, 2016-02-23 16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

racton

:unitedstates:               I am trying to start my stock 272 and the starter wont crank.I have a new solenoid,and battery.There is a part attached to the coil I am not familiar with.If I can post a pic I will.This small rectangular,perforated(looks like a set of tip cleaners)When the ignition switch is in the on position,this part gets hot.Dead short??   If someone could shed some light on this mystery I would be grateful.The starter turns the motor over if I put a jumper wire from battery to solenoid pole.Thanks

Ray

just a guess without a pic, but sounds like an ignition resister. It will get hot if the points are closed and the engine is not running.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

racton

:unitedstates:Thanks for the response Ray.Im thinking the same.I helped erect the iron for Huntington beach High school in 1969.Nice meeting you

djfordmanjack

It sounds as if your ignition switch wires might be flipped or defective.
yes the part on the coil is the resistor which drops the coil voltage to 9V when the car is running. during starting there is another wire that feeds 12V directly to the coil and makes better spark for tick over. since the starter is generally working you have to check your wire that runs from ignitionswitch to solenoid. you should have 12 V when you turn the key to the full right. check your ignition switch, it's easy to mix up the wires and when I got my 57 it had an additional ignition kill switch, becuase somebody had mixed up the main+, accessories and ignition+ wires on the switch.

Hoosier Hurricane

If the car has an automatic trans, the shifter has to be in the Neutral position to start.  It will not crank in Park.  Adjustment of the switch could be off also.   John

RICH MUISE

Quote from: racton on 2016-02-23 23:29
:unitedstates:Thanks for the response Ray.Im thinking the same.I helped erect the iron for Huntington beach High school in 1969.Nice meeting you
HaHa..Richard Acton, another in-common detail....when I moved to Calif in '69 from my home town of Acton, I lived in LA county for two years before I moved to HUNTINGTON BEACH, and bought our first house. (on Hillhead Dr.)
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

You stated that the solenoid is new, if the two small wires are put back on in reverse the solenoid won't engage. I would start there first..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

racton

:unitedstates:thanks fellas,hi-ball called it.The wires were switched on the new solenoid(I installed it).I was also unaware the car wont start in the park position.My first 57 was stick.The engine fired on starting fluid.Ill hook up a can later and buy some tune-up parts.Thanks for the guidance.If i get my butt in gear I might drive to Columbus in June.Thanks again.

hiball3985

Good news, we like it when the problems are simple  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang