News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rubber Matting-57 custom

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-03-30 21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

I know from the factory they came with a rubber matting instead of carpets....I am correct....right Jay?
I believe no one repo's this stuff........
I may have found a source...just maybe..but does anyone have any pics?....Factory?...Personal?

Jeff

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Jeff
    Mine are  rubber.  I had to piece the back one together from parts of other ones.  I gave up thinking that I would ever find a nice new back rubber one for my car.  Because of the  package tray, no one can get into the back of mine so it's holding up OK.  Jay

Zapato

Rubber mats, this sounds like some "RESTORER" talk.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Quote from: Zapato on 2016-03-30 21:45
Rubber mats, this sounds like some "RESTORER" talk.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Not sure if I know what you mean.  To me,  mine is just a fixed up old car.   

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

I too like rubber mats in the lower key models. Unfortunately all originals in cars that I ever saw were dryrotted.
I have seen NOS mats on ebay, but can't remember what model they were for. Most times these come in crazy colors like blue or turquoise/greenish, but they could be dyed matching to the cars interior. I think these mats have a cotton padding attached to their back, is that correct Jay ?

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-30 22:59
http://dennis-carpenter.com/floor-mat/p/B7A-7013000/
No pics, and desription is so so. May be worth a call.

Thanks Rich   I think that I'll give Carpenter  a call today.  This would give me  a good reason to  get rid of the patched up one that I have and it would be a good time to clean up my factory seat belt brackets and install them.  I'll have to drill some holes first.   

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-03-31 03:17
I too like rubber mats in the lower key models. . I think these mats have a cotton padding attached to their back, is that correct Jay ?

Günter
       I'll take a look today and see for sure.  I think that my front one has that padding.    Jay

Randyh

I think they called it jute backing, worked great at holding water.  I have never seen a source for reproductions of the rear mat, there is usually a disclaimer on the front repros. that they are made with an old mold and have some flaws.....
It would be nice have someone make both of these correctly.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks all...I did some work for a customer a few years back on a project(not a 57 Ford) and the entire flooring was a rubber mat(2 pieces) It was a ribbed matting.... but I just found the card of the man who did the interior that installed it.
I asked in passing where the flooring came from.....he mentioned it quick and the reasoning was the client wanted preferred a rubber system ,because of the styling of the car(race car styling...Indy feel)
Anyhow.... it may never be able to happen...but I will do some calls today
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Randyh and Günter
   I did take a look at my mat today and it does have the jute backing underneath.  My front one is a repro that I bought about 10-15 years ago.  I only installed it 2 years ago when I finally got the car on the road .  Back in those days they made a nice one that did fit the car and most likely it is rubber because it hasn't started to come apart yet.  If I had to guess, I would say that it came from Carpenter.  Jay   

djfordmanjack

thanx for the info Jay. is that a thick padding or just a fabric layer ?

BWhitmore

I once owned a 1946 Ford sedan delivery that had the original rubber floor mat and the jute backing was very similiar to home carpet padding made of jute.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-03-31 16:52
thanx for the info Jay. is that a thick padding or just a fabric layer ?

Guenter It's pretty thick about 1/2 inch.
    Like Randyh stated if it gets wet, it will hold the water.   That would be a way to rot the floors out real quick.

Ecode70D

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2016-03-31 16:55
I once owned a 1946 Ford sedan delivery that had the original rubber floor mat and the jute backing was very similiar to home carpet padding made of jute.

Yes it looks like the same stuff.