News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T-5 tranny

Started by racton, 2019-04-27 23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

racton

:unitedstates:hell o members,how ya;all doing? Things are fine in Ohio.My seats are being recovered and I am patching floorboards.Its a stock ,300 Custom,272 with a small Fordamatic.                I have a chance to get a T-5 from a svt mustang,not beaten on with the desirable shifter.Could i adapt that tranny`to my engine without much hassle and would it be a noticable,and worthwhile swap?  Thanks nice seeing you.racton

suede57ford

T5 swap will change eh driving personality of the car.    With the lower HP 272 the stick conversion will make it feel much sportier to drive.   The biggest advantage is the overdrive in 5th gear.   The overdrive will allow you to travel at the current highway speeds comfortably.  Good planning and the correct shifter handle and no modifications are necessary to your front seat.

Contact Mummert's website for and adapter to an standard y-Bock bellhousing.   Stick set-ups are extremely easy to find, since most '57's were sticks, so lots of conversion parts out there.

Lots of advice out there on how to do the conversion.   This site has information in the tech area.  Also Y-Bocksforever forum is helpful.   Its been done 100's of times, easy to do, affordable and works great.

It's worth the effort to make the '57 more enjoyable to ride.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

FiveSevenLiter

You will love it.  I got my 300 with a strong FE with a three speed OD, we pulled the transmission out and installed the 5-Speed.  No one would have ever been able to convince me on how much it change the car, the drive ability and fun factor have multiplied.  I have since installed one in my 51 Mercury M3 with a flathead.  With the lower horsepower flathead  I cruise without fear of over working the engine, with the big horsepower FE I cruise with a lot quieter cabin.  I have been playing with old Fords for 40 years and still like the manual transmission experience.  Take you time and do it correctly once.
Terry
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

racton

:unitedstates:  Thanks for the encouraging information.I have pedals and most of what I need from a 1958 custom.I doubt it will happen this year Im wanting to drive it.Thanks again.....racton