News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

dash clock removal

Started by 34ford, 2020-12-14 13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Do you go thru glove box , from under dash?  Need easiest way as near 70 yo and not as flexible as in yrs. past. Thanks, 34

oldave57

The clock is held in place by (2) studs/nuts that have to be accessed under the dash (lying on the floor/seat in any manner that you can to reach under there and be able to see what you are doing.  The studs are actually attached to the front bezel face plate that surrounds the clock face on the front of the dash.  The studs are located diagonally (one lower and the opposite one higher up).  I believe they are either 5/16" or 3/8" hex size.  Once you have removed the nuts, the clock comes out through the rear and the face plate can be removed from the front.  You also need to remove the clock wire from the terminal on the back of the clock. 

Good Luck,
Dave

34ford

Thanks for reply, was hoping could access thru glove box as shoulders are nor what they used to be. 34

oldave57

Actually, the clock could be accessed by removing the glove compartment because it is just to the left of the compartment.   I didn't include that because it is kind of a pain to remove the glove compartment because the cardboard construction is a bit delicate and easy to damage, but it can be done and if that would be easier for you it would be worth a try.  You are probably going to have to do some stretching and reaching but might be easier for you.  It certainly will be easier to see the clock from that vantage point.

djfordmanjack

Here is a pic to easier understand the position of the bolts that Dave mentioned correctly. as far as I recall the nuts are 3/8 wrench size.
I found it convenient to use a socket with just a driver (handle) extension. if your car isnt rusted badly from sitting outside, the nuts should easily come off without the need for a ratchet or wrench.
click on pic to enlarge.

34ford

Thanks for the info and pics, I will tackle
sometime soon. May try to change to quartz movement. 34

Ecode70D

Günter
     You are a lot younger than me and know a lot about those hard to reach 57clocks and we both have 34 Fords.  What are the chances that you could come and remove mine?  Since your dad used to repair them, maybe he will fix it. Then, maybe you will reinstall it.
  Since the original writer of this post uses the name 34ford, he may have one also , so maybe you will remove his
and get that one done also .   
       Just asking.  You can do it in your spare time.

34Ford   
      What model 34 Ford do you have?
Jay

34ford

Built 34 Cab, sold yrs ago keep 34ford name on all my forums

Ecode70D

I still have my 34 Ford Cabriolet that I built a long time ago and it still has the flathead but I changed the brakes to hydraulic.

djfordmanjack

Well, Jay. I think I'll ride the bicycle over to your place. I forgot.  passing the 5th cranberry bog, is it a left or right turn to get to your garage ?
I think concerning the pandemic problems, it's better not to meet inside the house. Please just park the 57 outside on the back of the garage, where nobody can see it and please leave the keys in the lock. If the clock doesn't want to come out, I might - just maybe- have to take Snowhite for a Clock-shakeoff-run around the block..... :003:

Great to hear from other former 34 owners. they are such pretty cars. I have a 2 dr sedan that once belonged to Ecode70D.
He asked me to inspect the clock, and I just told him to leave the keys , just in case.... :002:

oldave57

I replaced the original clock on my 57 Ford quite a few years ago with a rebuilt original clock (purchased on Ebay).  That clock worked well for a couple of years, but then failed to keep time and the rewinding mechanism quit working (like so many of the original clocks).

I had purchased a couple of clocks on Ebay, so I had some leftover parts to work with and decided to try reworking the clock using a cheap wall clock (AA battery wall clock from Walmart).  The clock "engine" from those clocks is actually small enough to fit inside the clock case on the 57 Ford clock and can be glued (JB Weld) to the back of the clock face with some shim spacers to get the proper fit of the clock shaft through the opening in the clock face for the hands.  The wall clock hands then need to be cut down and painted to match the size and color of the Ford clock and then fitted back onto the clock shaft (3 separate drives for the 3 hands of the clock).  This clock has worked amazingly well (those cheap wall clocks keep great time and seem to last forever).  I did this conversion on my 57 Ford Club Sedan, and then transplanted this into my current 57 Skyliner a couple of years ago.  I usually pull the battery when I store the car in the winter.  This works well for me, but there are some downsides to this conversion:

You have to reach under the dash to replace the battery or adjust the time because the original "stem" is now just a decoration and not attached to the clock engine.  I have gotten to be able to insert the battery and adjust the time by "feel" without having to slide under there to look, but that takes some practice, so this might not be for everyone, but it is at least an alternative to the $200 or so cost of a quartz rebuild or a replacement original clock that will probably last a fairly short time.

Good luck with your clock "adventure" on your 57.
Dave

34ford

Thanks again to all for the info, I had a narrowed 54 Pontiac dash in mt '30 Ford roadster. The clock was in the center of the speaker grill. Did the same "cheap" conversion w/ wall clock movement, worked GREAT!!!!!