News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

decisions...decisions

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-07 08:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A while back we were discussing restoring to original vs. custom/restomod...this is what I love about custom. I finally got determined to finish the bodywork on my sedan and get some paint on it before the summer is over. Last weekend I got the tail end with the rolled pan blocked out and epoxy primed. Until now I was torn between two options for final appearance, but now I've came up with a third and can't decide! The photo is from last year, don't have a current photo to post.
option #1: leave the sheet metal as is and just add a heavy bar behind the sheetmetal for a little protection. This will give the cleanest look.
option #2: make 2 rectangular cutouts in the rolled pan to line up with the frame and add 2 receiver hitches heavy enough to give some "bumper" protection. This would give me the option of using 2 heavy stainless nerf bars formed to the contour of the rolled pan,welded to bars that would slide into the receivers. I could then make a 2 point trailer hitch that would replace the nerf bars if I wanted to tow a mini-mini  trailer as planned for trips. Hitch pins would be of course behind the pan.
option #3: same as #1 except I would have 4 stainless bullets machined to match the '63 Galaxie back-up light section of the tailight. The bullets would be placed 2 on each side, thru round holes in the verticle area of the rolled pan and bolted to the heavy back-bar.
decisions...decisions...decisions...any votes???
p.s. The photo also shows the falling headliner problem I was discussing in the headliner post last week...not a pretty sight.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

If it were mine I would work the bumper to fit up tight to the body and do the same with the front.  Shave the bolts and chrome it.  Just MHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glen b henderson

Rich, I'm with Bill on this one. I'm not a big fan of customized 57 ford's, I think it is just to hard to improve on what ford came up with. The shaved bumper over the roll pan would look nice in my opinon and still give a custom look.
Freedom is not Free

canadian_ranchero

my ranchero has a sunken radio antenna just behind the pass door.not sure if i should take it out and put the stock one in or just leave it alone

Zapato

In order for a "custom" to work is that simplicity always trumps overkill.One single overdone modification can ruin the whole look.Nerf bars as I picture them are more race car material. Maybe a couple of half bumpers like off the front of a vega or early 70s camaro. just enough to give the rear a bit of sparkle with a bit of wraparound the corners. If you do go with the double hitch idea keep the slits as narrow as possible and use 40 ford bumper rubbers (or similar product) to give you a nice finished look.

But also remember it only has to please you, my 2 cents
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Bill/Glen...had thought about tucked bumper but thought it was beyond my abilities. Generally speaking, I like tucked and shaved bumpers. I understand some guys don't like custom vs. original, and that's ok...it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. IMHO 57 ford customs had a good basic design, but needs a little tweeking. Except for a hood scoop and oversize side pipes, my custom work has been all about cleaning up the original lines so they flow better. I have a particular problem with the back bumper design just kinda sticking out there in the air where it wraps around. I know the intent was to pick up on the line from the rear fender well flare, but they just didn't pull it off. Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at Bob Burdoff's 57 that was in Street Rodder last year. What they are calling a tucked bumper is IMHO not tucked, but actually had material added to the bumper to fill in the gap between it and the body. looks good, and I may consider that.  Zappoto..I like the Idea of using narrower braces and the 40's style rubber seal, and particulrly like the fact it gives me the option of doing it after paint so I don't have to worry about it now.The nerf bars I had in mind would be polished stainless, about 3" wide x 3/8" thick, verticl about 10" long to match pan contour.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich I need to go back and check that 57 in Street Rodder, seems to me there are some other mods to that bumper. I'd modify that rear pan now rather than after paint while the 40 rubbers are rather large I wouldn't want to risk ruining a good paint. I know if it was me doing that my old buddy Murphy would be right beside making sure things went his way. :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72