News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Frame numbers

Started by 57wagon, 2010-10-05 15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

57wagon

Does anyone knoe what the numbers on the frame mean? Are all 57 frames the same? I have a frame for a wagon, the seller says. how do I know ?  57wagon

CDN.SD

I don't know about the numbers, but the only major difference in two frames that I have here, one from a 57 wagon, the other from a sedan delivery, is that for some reason, the SD frame had two less body mount brackets.

The ones directly over the cross member weren't there, and there was no sign of them ever having been there.
Necessity is the mother of butchery

RICH MUISE

somewhere I saw a breakdown on the differences in frames for the different models...the main difference is 2 different wheelbases..fairlanes were longer than the others. check www.1957ford.com, you should find all the info you need there. when you come back to this post you will probably find they have moved it to another catagory...love to see the first posts from the new guys...keep 'm coming (and recently several gals too)Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Hoosier Hurricane

Also, in the Fairlane series, the convertible and retractable had an added X member for increased stiffness, since the body had no fixed roof.  John

canadian_ranchero

hollander says ford 57-58 S/W S/D AND RANCHERO are the same frame.i am told the cross member by the rear axle is different than the cars

57wagon

Thank you very much. It was at  57ford.com.  Im new so please be patient  with me.

Lou

Where are the numbers on the frame, and what are they?

KidKourier

I thought I read somewhere that the numbers on the frame matched the I.D. numbers on the data plate on the drivers side to help control theft by changing the I.D. #'s on the data tag( is that where the term "numbers matching" came from?) LOL! :booty:    KID

glen b henderson

Kid, you are right. The vin # is stamped in the L/H frame rail just in front of the body mount. They are almost impossible to read unless the frame is clean and the #'s are highlighted with something.
Freedom is not Free

57tudor

57 wagon
Here is a pic I had of a 57 ford frame with the VIN# location pointed out. The VIN# should be the same as the VIN plate in the drivers door jam. The frame number is a bummer to read. Clean it with a small wire brush and go over it with some chalk. Good Luck
Rick
57 Tudor

iamflashman

You can also tell by the VIN the body style of the car so that should definitely answer your question.  There is a VIN decoderat: http://1957ford.com/asp/gallery.aspx?catmstrid=7&catdetid=29
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

62galxe

I know its old but thought id add some vin info. Its in 3 places on the right frame. Behind the front control arm mount as noted in previous post. Its also about 1/2 way down the frame and above the rear axle centerline.