News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3 speed manual synchronized?

Started by cobraffr, 2011-11-28 15:37

Previous topic - Next topic

cobraffr

I have a 3 speed manual on the tree. Currently 1st gear is not synchronized, but 2nd and 3rd are.  Is that by design or do I have a problem with 1st gear.  I may have have to pull the engine and was wondering if I needed to include some transmission work along with that. 

Donny

JimNolan

Donny,
   What you see is what you get. It's working the way it suppose to. Remember the old truckers that double clutched the transmissions. That was why they did it, gears weren't synchronized. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57tudor

Donny.

First and reverse are non synchromesh in those trans, only 2nd and 3rd. If you are going to pull the engine and trans, then this is the ideal time to remove the side cover and inspect the trans for ware, loose cluster gear in the case, worn syncrow rings and the fine syncrow teeth on 2nd and 3rd gears. 3rd is the input shaft that is direct drive. Also this is a great time to change the fluid in it if all is well. Check your speedo gear for wear and replace if needed. Most are 19 tooth with the 310 to 1 rearend gear. Good luck with your project.

Rick.
57 Tudor

cobraffr

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I guess I need to learn some new driving skills!  This is a huge departure from my paddle shift daily driver.

Hoosier Hurricane

Donny:  If you do change the fluid, be sure to find some mineral oil, rated GL1 to replace it.  The modern GL3 through GL5 oils are too slick to allow the snychronizers to work properly, gear clash and hard shifting will result.  I found a gallon of GL1 at my local farm store.  John