News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tires

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2011-12-03 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,    probly been brought up before,   li need some opinions on tires,  coker & lucas,   thanks    jerry                                            let me ask in another way,  has anyone had any bad experiences with coker?

JimNolan

Jerry,
   Tires are to say the least one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. It's a lot easier to choose a tire when you only use your car for limited activities. If you don't plan on taking trips and don't put very many miles on a car a Bias ply tire 750-775 X 14" from Coker will fill the bill. You wouldn't have to recalibrate your speedometer either. I've looked up Lucas and they show the same pictures of tires that Coker has. So, I think they might be selling Coker tires.
   Me personally, I'd go to the Summit Racing website and look up a 205/75R14 WW tire made by Cooper. They are called Trendsetter SE tires. I don't know how hard you've looked but WW tires are getting scarce. These tires have mixed reviews but there aren't that many people that make them anymore. I remember the days that Bias ply tires were hard to balance, lasted 10,000 miles and rode like they were square for the first 10-15 miles after they'd been sitting overnight. Jim  PS  I took the liberty or thinking you wanted WW tires because that picture you have of your car looks absolutely georgous. 
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

Jim,  back in 59 when i had my first 57,  it had 2 1/2 white walls,   and i think they probly were the last 2 1/2" made at that time,  because you couldn't get them any more,   thats when the 1" came out.     i don't know how old the tires  i have now,  i had to change the tires on my 51 because they got old and i had 4" ww's on it,   i like the wider ww's,   and i know the newer tires are a lot cheaper,   rigtht mnow i'm just thinking and wanted somne info on what our group thought,  thanks   jerry         ps,   i'll check out summit,               also i forgot to say thanks to Jim about the comment he made about my car

rmk57

Doesn't Coker make wide whites in a radial? I run bias plys because I don't look forward to parallel parking my standard steering 460 Custom. If you drive your car often and put on a lot of miles I'd putting on radials.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

cool57

I have Michelin WWW radials from Diamondback. Very good tires, not cheap.
http://www.dbtires.com/

Zapato

yikes! you weren't kidding when you said not cheap.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

to Cool57,    looked at the tires from diamond back,   nice looking tires & prices are the best i've seen so far,  made by cooper,     thanks   jerry                         PS,    thanks for all the input about tires,   enough said,  now its up to me what i'll do