News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Apology for Wheel Vintiques Thread

Started by JimNolan, 2011-12-15 14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Lateral Runout Specifications
Theoretically, wheels should have no lateral runout. Professional technicians at Vibrate Software state that the lateral runout should be no more than .045 inches. Professional Technicians at the Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair state that most manufacturers specify a lateral runout of no more than .1 inches. To put these numbers into perspective, the wheel cannot be bent sideways more than the thickness of a pencil lead.

Guys,
   I want to apologize to you for posting what I said about Wheel Vintiques. After making an ass of myself on the phone to Customer Service at Wheel Vintiques, I set up a plunge indicator and measured the lateral runout on my wheels while they were mounted on the car. Wheel Vintiques claims that to check runout you can't use the hub hole get an accurate measurement of runout. When my tire shop showed me the wobble in the wheel they were using the hub hole for mounting the wheel on the Dynamic Balancer. Sure enough, Wheel Vintiques was right. I had two wheels that had .020 lateral runout, one with .025 lateral runout and one with .032 lateral runout.
   I stopped by the tire store and told them of my findings and Wheel Vintiques theory on capturing the hub hole for anything other than mounting it in the trunk. ( I just made the trunk part up, they didn't say that but he infered it ). I had James take the thread off the forum because the topic was misleading and inaccurate. I am truely sorry for not getting my ducks in a row before I went ballistic. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

hay Jim  we all make mistakes,   my wife is always saying she made one 48 years ago

Ford Blue blood

Jim if we never made a mistake we could throw stones, but....my pockets are empty, not because I used them all up, just can't throw any.....the real mark of a man is when he will stand up and say he made a mistake....you're the man!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Guys,
   Thanks for not coming down on me. I've always tried to research my opinions on any given subject. In this instance I relied on a shop that had been in business for probably 50 years and sold and balanced countless tires. When they called me into the shop to witness wheels they deemed defective I thought I could fully depend on their opinion and my eyes. Wheel Vintiques made a very good point when they told me that the wheel had been welded up in relationship to the five lug mounting holes, not the hub hole, that made common sense.
   This episode hasn't went without it's benifits though. I'm having the spare powder coated now and the tire shop wants me to bring in my indicator and check runout while the wheel is mounted to their Dynamic Balancer. They've got two ways of capturing the wheel for balancing purposes and they want to determine the best way to mount tires in the future. The manager at Monteith Tire in Warsaw is receptive to improving his service quality. Jim

geraldchainsaw

just a test

geraldchainsaw

thanks Jim,    after all these years that tires have been sold,   an balanced,   its been wrong,  or rather not accurate enough, and by using the studs & nuts will be better,   its a wonder that the tire manufacturer never thought of it,   all the tires ssold that were thought to be out of balance were really the wheel and how it was mounted,  glad u brouht it up,  had to get my 2 cents in,     jerry

JimNolan

Email from Wheel Vintiques:
Good Morning Jim,
Thank you for the email. The lateral and radial max run out is .035?. At .025?,  .020? and even at .032? they should be within industry standards. Please feel free to contact me at any time with any other questions about your wheels, it is very important to me that you are happy with your purchase.

Sincerely
Joe Berry
Wheelvintiques

Zapato

Jim,

I think you just showed us you *ARE* the person your dog thinks you are. And the highest compliment a US Sailor could ever expect to receive  '' Well Done'''  to you.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72