News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trunk weatherstrip / rubber

Started by tarheel57, 2012-01-04 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel57

I have seen a couple of 57's on the internet were the trunk rubber was glued onto the body instead of on the trunklid were it came out.It was turned correct and sitting against the lip just as it would be if it was glued onto the trunklid,and when the trunk closes it seals down against the rubber instead of the rubber sealing down against the body.Have any of you seen this or played around with this to see if it works any better.I know I have seen a right many 57's were the trunks didnt seem to pull down far enough.I layed the rubber on there like it should sit correctly and it wouldnt be any problem to glue it on this way.On the couple I seen ( one was in streetrodder magazine about a year ago ) it looked good this way.What do you think,anybody tried it ?  Tarheel57 :burnout:

RICH MUISE

Tarheel...sounds interesting..I haven't done mine yet and if I have looked at one done that way, I didn't notice. I'm assuming the seal hits the top of the lip running around the trunk opening, so my only thought about it is whether or not there is enough mating surface to secure the seal there.
How about posting some pics of your progress on your car, if you posted any since the great shots of your assembled frame, I missed it, and I've been anxious to see it's progress.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

Rich,one of the cars I seen was in streetrodder magazine.It belongs to Bob Burdorffs from Benton,Kansas.It was featured in their July,2009 issue.If you would like to see it go to  www.streetrodderweb.com , in their search box put in ( 1957 fords ) his is number 3 down,click on it and scroll down to you see the trunk pictures.this is a very beautiful car,I thought someone on here might know him.Im interested in doing my trunk rubber this way and was wondering how good this seals the water out.Sorry I havent posted any pictures lately, but Im about finnished.All I like is putting on my trunk lid,finnish my carpet inside and bolting in my front seats and installing the center part of the console that I made,and doing my exhaust.Everything else is on and finnished,but I have only driven it around in my driveway because of only stright headers,but that 530 HP sounds good,it shakes the ground pretty good.Like always there could be a few bugs to work out.I have some more pictures taken,Ill try to get them posted before too long.  Tarheel57 :burnout:

RICH MUISE

That does look like a neat installation...but I'm wondering if it's a '57 trunk seal or a u-shaped extrusion he found...there are lots of generic shapes available. Burdorff's car has long been my favorite '57....I'm going to try to duplicate his grille.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your car.
Rich

Ford Blue blood

I'm not buying that it will actually seal the trunk.  Stock the seal sits down on the lip of the trunk, not in the water channel as this one does. 

Having said that, very nice car!  High buck.  A target to shoot at with respect to fit and finish for us laymen......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jrw429

Seems to me it might be ok in a show car, but wouldn't work so well in a driven car. The rubber located there would be prone to snagging, wearing and tearing. And it seems like it would adversely affect channeling rain out.

RICH MUISE

"The rubber located there would be prone to snagging, wearing and tearing."
good point...I agree.

tarheel57

Thanks for the input on this, it helped me make my decision.I installed it today and put the rubber on the trunklid like ford had it.Tarheel57 :unitedstates: