Keep my original 312 Y block or throw a 460 in for immediate gratification?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-21 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

The car is a 1957 Custom 300 four door, with factory 312 Yblock. It's been in the family since 1957. I pulled the 312 and the fordomatic out of the car about a week ago. I don't have the money to do a rebuild and have the block dipped like I would want to. School tuition has me tapped. I want to just get it on the road quick and I want it to be reliable to drive to Austin, Dallas San Antonio. Should I just tuck the 312 in the corner or put it in a storage unit until I can get the funds together, or sell it for the 460/c6 cash?

Any input would be great!

-Keith
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

JimNolan

If the Vin number on your car starts with a "D", I'd stick it away. I'd think that was a rare combination. Once you get rid of the original motor and transmission you'll not get it back. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

glen b henderson

Like Jim said, if the car is a D code I would keep the engine but I fully understand the cost of a Y block rebuild. You are very fortunate in that you are near (Lorena, TX) one of the foremost Y block experts in the country. Ted Eaton could most likely give you a good stock rebuild of the Y block for less than what it would cost to purchase a 460 and all the parts and pieces that it will take to install it. I noticed in your other post that you were looking for $1500 for the Y block and trans, while 312's are worth good money, I think that is high and the trans is not worth much. The heads and crank are worth more than the block. Another option would be a good used small block and trans, they can be had for a reasonable price if you shop around.
Freedom is not Free

Zapato

Heck if you were closer I'd trade you a 69 merc 429 c6, Would be kind of fun to build a 312 and it would simplify my engine decision on my build.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Keith,
   Please don't take this the wrong way, it's just an observance. If you want to save money and time, I'd rebuild what you got. Sticking a 460 and C6 into a 57 Ford takes alot more time and money. Alot more than rebuilding what you got. Also, you talk about driving it to school as a transportation vehicle. The guys you see with those big engines at the car shows and in the hot rod magazines don't drive those cars, and the ones that do probably do it a 1/4 mile at a time and then load it on a trailer. Most of it is show. I know for a fact that having a dependable, road worthy vehicle in which you aren't strained beside of the road with comes from simpliciy, not more horse power and alternations. Been there, done that.
Good luck with your project whichever way you go. It sounds like you got a rare Custom 300. Jim

Custom300Madman

I appreciate all the input fellas. Okay the VIN starts with a D7DG21.

Body 73B

Color J

Trim AN

Date 11 (OR 11G)

Trans G 3 (OR just 3)

Axle 1

Custom300Madman

Okay so I was cross referencing some of these numbers, and letters.

Rear is 3.10 ratio, is that posi? Two years ago I was able to get the engine running with a new fuel tank and tune up. I put some fluid in the trans and while on jack stands it turned the passenger rear wheel. I'm not sure why my dad stopped driving it after college besides the fact he bought his first motorcycle.

Looking at the transmission it's a fordomatic, and having never driven this car before or one with a fordomatic, should I keep the transmission or look for something with overdrive? I know it is leaking where the tail shaft bolts to the case, how much are overhaul kits running on these three speeds?

-Keith

JimNolan

Keith,
   They didn't make posi's back in 1957. If the tag on the pig has an "L" on it, it's a posi and it's out of an early 60's car. The Ford 0 Matic "3" three speed is a good transmission for a 245 hp 312. With the car being in the family since 1957 you've got a piece of history to work with. When I got my 57 it had already had about 15 owners, been pulled out of a junk yard once and the original engine, transmission and rear end had been long gone. I wish I'd have had the opportunity you've got now. Jim

Custom300Madman

Thank you Jim I look forward to a long knowledge filled relationship together. It sounds like you know what right moves and angles to approach because I sure don't.

-Keith

Ps: she's all stock and has been. Only thing is my dad gifted me the car but said tx doesn't have a record of his plates or vin for a duplicate title. He did sign the title transfer paperwork but I was still Leary of having the car towed. I just wa t it to drive so I can work on a stingray with a ls1 drop. I drive motorcycles a d want the vette for a dd. The 57 I want to take to Austin and school once in awhile thanks. The car was last on the road in 1980