News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear inner fender

Started by 62galxe, 2013-11-01 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

Has anybody used the rear inner fender patches from EMS. Been working on mine and its a tough part to shape. Are they worth the expense or should I keep pounding away.

JimNolan

Quote from: 62galxe on 2013-11-01 18:24
Has anybody used the rear inner fender patches from EMS. Been working on mine and its a tough part to shape. Are they worth the expense or should I keep pounding away.
Chad Yoder, the man that restored my 57 was the one that got EMS to make the rear inner fender patches. He made mine on an English Wheel. ANYTHING that is already made should be a blessing. I know it took Chad a while to make mine correctly. Good luck with your restoration. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

clusterbuster

If you are referring to the inner quarter wheel arch, I used my new quarter panel as a pattern and made a  made a template using the colored cardboard from the dollar store. I placed the cardboard on the wheel arch of the new panel and drew the arch out on the paper, then placed it on16 gauge sheet metal that I bought from Lowes. Cut the sheet metal and then cut a 3/4 strip of metal from the same sheet and then MIG welded the strip to the arch of the fabricated piece. I dry fitted everything in place and got the panels aligned good and then secured the fabricated wheel arch by screws and then MIG welded in place. I did that for both rear quarters that I replaced on my Custom 300 sedan. I used weld through primer when welding the outer quarter to the fabricated inner. I bought new panels that go from the trunk floor down to the bottom of the lower quarter. I also primed and painted every thing with heat resistant paint before installing. Good luck.

Wirenut

I used them and even though it was challenging to make a nice fit, it is doable. Nothing I purchased from EMS was a nice fit without a lot of fitment issues. I will admit it was a good starting point with their stamped parts, but I used their part and some of the old original and between the two made them fit. I almost gave up a couple of times and decided to stay after it. Mine turned out O.K. The second one was easier than the first for sure.. Good luck!!!

RICH MUISE

I don't need them, but out of curiosity I was searching the ems site trying to find the inner rear fender patches, and couldn't. Are they listed under something other than 57-58 fords or universal products?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

modifieddriver

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-02 04:18
I don't need them, but out of curiosity I was searching the ems site trying to find the inner rear fender patches, and couldn't. Are they listed under something other than 57-58 fords or universal products?

I also couldn't find them.
If ya' really want it, all ya' have to do is "STEP- UP"

rmk57

I didn't think they made inner wheel wells either.
I wonder if something from a different body style would work, like 55-57 chev. If you only need a small section and as long as the radius is close it may work.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Limey57

I made my own as my inner wheel arch was only rusted up by about an inch.  I folded some steel into and "L" shape then used a metal shrinker/stretcher to pull it to the correct profile, using a new outer wheel arch panel as a guide.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-02 04:18

The EMS site has some quirks..... When i ordered some products.... i mentioned to the fella on the other end.... that certain items were not on there website.
This fella seemed surprised and said he would look into the matter.
The last time I looked.. nothing was resolved.
This could be the issue.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

clusterbuster

Forgot to mention that when I did mine, I sectioned them in about half way up. The upper part of the wheelhouse was good and solid.

RICH MUISE

Don't forget this inner wheelwell arch is what locates the outer rear quarter, so I figured when I did mine years ago, they had to be as accurate as posible. Mine had rust damage a couple inches up. When I cut my outer quarter panel off, I did it in very small pieces around the wheel well, so I could carefully remove the outer quarter panel in small pieces without distorting the rust-weakened inner. I then relaced the rusted flange area 4 or 5 inches at a time, so I always had reference points to tack weld the new piece in place.
The way I formed my pieces, not having an english wheel or the know-how to use one, was first tracing the oem inner wheel well opening shape on a piece of matboard and transfering that to a large piece of sheetmetal. I then used a beadroller and rolled a small bead along the arch shape, thus establishing a bend line that would be later bent @ 90*. From there I started cutting that into the small sections that could be more easily shaped than trying to cope with the full area.
I figured it didn't have to be too pretty, but does need to be fairly accurate.

clusterbuster

Yes the wheel arch has to be accurate and when cutting out a large section of the wheelhouse and welding in a new piece like I did, make sure that when everything is dry fitted that you can remove the tire easily. I had mine in a little too far after I welded everything together and had to jack the quarter out some to get wheel clearance. The other side went better after making sure there was enough clearance etc.

clusterbuster

Must clarify wheel clearance. There was plenty of clearance for wheel spin, but when jacking the vehicle up and trying to remove the back tire, it was too tight to get the tire down and out. I remember when I was a kid and jacking the 57 up other than by using the back bumper, the tire wouldn't come down and out.

RICH MUISE

These definetly aren't cars you can jack up with a jack under the rear end.  LOL...the old bumper jacks solved that problem I guess.