News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New wheels for 57

Started by JimNolan, 2015-02-26 12:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

As some of you know I decided to put some slicks on my 57 and I've measured, re-measured and measured again trying to get the back spacing right. The wheels came from Wheel Vintiques and they were ordered to be 15" X 8" with a 5.125" backspace. What I got was a 5.187" back space. Both wheels were the same. I missed the center of the wheel well (my car) by .063". If the wheels had been 5.250" backspace it would have been perfect. I'm not complaining. I really like them.
I started out with a template that represented a 27" diameter tire with a 11" section width. That didn't work well. I cut down the template to represent a 10.5" tire and it was perfect. It doesn't leave much room but the idea was to pack as much tire in there as I could, not less tire. I'm going to post pictures, don't know what order they'll get there in but the measurement of the backspace, the outer wheel well at it's closest point, inner wheel well at it's closest point and picture of template is included. Jim
PS. Just ordered two Mickey Thompson 26 X 10.50-15 ET Street tires off Ebay. They were from McCormicks Racing for $169.00 each and free shipping. I thought it was a good deal. Summit has them for $195.00 each.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

more pictures

rmk57

I'm looking at M/T street radials, P255/ 60/ 15. 10.1 section width on a 7.5" wheel, slightly taller at 27".

Interested to know how you make out.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

Great info, pictures, and effort. I have spent a lot of time on the topic, posted a bunch (probably too much) and to me the only way to figure all this stuff out is doing it and seeing how it works! Can't wait to see the results....
Lynn

JimNolan

Alright they're mounted. I can't express the pleasure I am feeling right now. Not only did they fit perfect but I can even wash the tires now without moving the car. The dreaded 10.5" section width was in reality only 10.00". It is the perfect backspace wheel I needed and the perfect tire to put on that 8" rim. Jim

John Palmer

Jim, we must be "Brothers from another Mother", I build lots of projects out of tape, cardboard, and paper.  One time I built a custom breather tank out of PVC pipe for our VW, and took it over to Moon Equipment to have them fabricate for me, they said it looked so good, I should just spray can it silver, LOL.

It does feel good when you bolt the new part on, and it actually fits!

electricalan

Nice work,your dilegence paid off! Don.t forget to send a pic when they are on the rig. Al
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

JimNolan

Here's a picture of them on the car. I would make them the same all the way around but with these bias ply slicks I'd eat them up if I drove it on the highway. So I'll just run it at the drags like this. It won't be that many times anyway. I've just got some testing at Osceola, Meltdown Drags and Ford Expo I plan on running this year.

electricalan

Once again Very nice.Thanks for sharing. Al
Returning from a long hibernation!!!