News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Willoughby Ohio Ford

Started by racton, 2016-09-09 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

racton

:unitedstates:   Hey folks is everyone having fun this amazing summer? I hope you are. As i walked to my 57 in a parking yesterday.a guy asked if he could look in the car.He then told me of a 1957 fairlane that raced in my neighborhood in the 60s.The car was a 2dr 300 with a 406.It was named "Born Loser".Painted with gold metalflake and a big hoodscoop.
    Good night....keep it between the poles

Ecode70D

Your car looks nice and it must fly down the road with the  406 in it.

Marc

clusterbuster

MarcDid you get your car painted and how about some pictures if you did.

RICH MUISE

Seems to be alot of confusion here...I read Marc's post as..... a guy was telling him about a Gold dragracer with a 406 from back in the day. I don't think Marc was talking about his car. It would be nice to find a pic of the old racer just to see if it is a Fairlane OR a 300...can't be both.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Thanks Rich
After rereading Racton's statement, I'll retract what I stated about the 406.
Looks like I need to take a reading course.

clusterbuster

I know that it is not Marc's car Rich. Thought since Marc commented on this post he would see my question about his car. He posted a while back how he was getting his car ready for paint and I was curious as to how it turned out. He said he was not aware of how to PM a while ago when he responded to one of my posts.  From what I remember of the 406 engine in the gold car,  they were not the best engine at the time, pretty peppy though.

JPotter57

406 was the best engine at the time.  It gave those 409s and 421 Pontiacs all they could handle.  Not that good for long distance NASCAR type stuff, until they added the cross bolted mains, and extrsa cubes to make it a 427, then the side oiler feature in 66.  In Super Stock though, the 406 tore through the ranks, just look at the history books.  It was a screamer.  Still is.  I was actually looking for a 406 for my car when I stumbled onto the 427 that I bought...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

Finding the Elusive 406 was a Unicorn for me..... Either way out of price or it was a ghost run.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

They're out there.  Just gotta be careful that you're not getting an overbored 390.  Not that there is anything wrong with an .080 over 390, but just dont pay std bore 406 money for it.  Lots of cheater 406s running around out there, that run great, but they are not worth the 2500-4000 or so that a complete rebuildable 406 is bringing, even if it comes with the cast iron headers and complete 3x2v setup.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

SkylinerRon

Most 390's won't take a .080 bore without splitting a cyl wall soon after.

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

You can build a fairly stout 406 using a 428 block and a 391T crank.  The 391T crank is forged and needs to be turned on the snout to take a 390 balancer.  Top it with medium riser heads and have a boat load of fun!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BP57CUSTOM

I bought a "Fred Jones" 406 about three years ago. Ford would send new 352 truck blocks and new 406 innards to Jones and they built new 406's. The metal tag attached to the block listed all dimensions as Standard.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor