News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A weekend in Texas

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-10-31 08:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

My life sure has changed over the past year. Instead of having a project tucked away in my garage that nobody ever saw, and could only talk about when guys were not tired of listening, I'm getting to do lots of car related stuff, and much of which I probably wouldn't have even known about in the past. This weekend was a good example. One of my friends at our Saturday night rt 66 get together told me about 2 cruises out of Amarillo. I did them both. Saturday about a dozen of us met at the I40 Amarillo rest area and drove to Childress about 115 Miles south on 287. Myself and others thought we were just going to see a Ford collector's cars. Turns out we were going to a car show in front of his place.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

There are actually two collectors that have cars in that building. The above inside pics are Larry(?)'s and he mainly collects 52-56. Some time in the not to distant future (I hope), some of us will go back to Childress and take him up on his offer to see the main collection in two other locations. He has over 300 project cars. Many are for sale. He does not sell parts. He told me he still has two '57 Custom 300's and one '58...."all needing floorpans, but otherwise solid".  I found out Saturday this is who Jeff got his from.
The other collector is mainly into '34 Fords and Mustangs. Both of these guys are very well known in the area to the guys who are from here.
That unibody sheetmetal in the 2nd pic is sitting on a complete '02 Crown Vic frame/drivetrain. Even has most of the firewall and also fully functional dash from the CV.
This next pic is Saturday night down on 6th st/old rt 66. There were about 20 of us there...usually a dozen or so. This silver and dark purple Lincoln is one of my favorite local cars. It's owned by the same guy that I posted the pic of the purple '49 Merc last week

RICH MUISE

Then Sunday......Did I mention I love my wife for letting me do this stuff with no hassles....Sunday's run was the 34th annual cruise put on by the High Plains Drifters. Not sure if they always go to the same place, but boy was I in for a huge surprise. First, we met at the Walmarts on I40. There were probably 60-80 cars there. This run was an organized run with entry fee, dash plaque, free bar-b-que lunch and soft drinks, entertainment, etc. I followed a '57 Fairlane down to the "overlook" at Palo Duro Canyon. The '57 is locally owned by a guy name Gene who I first met oddly enough at a car show in Red River New Mexico.
Anyway, my big surprise was the canyon area we ended the cruise at. I had no idea this area was anything like it turned out to be...and only an hour south of Amarillo.
The third pic is the typical Texas landscape that I'm always griping about..no trees, can see where your going 30 miles before you get there, etc. The last pic, taken 15 minutes later, is just entering the canyon area. As I said, I had no idea this area was like this...almost like being in the mountains, and only an hour or so from Amarillo!!

RICH MUISE

some pics from the "overlook" area.

RICH MUISE

I'll be spending this week getting bugs off my car.

gasman826

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-10-31 09:23
I'll be spending this week getting bugs off my car.

Try WIZARD Bug Release.  I've used it for several years.  Spray it on and let set.  Spray off with hose.

http://wizardsproducts.com/bug-release-22-oz/

rmk57

Nice photos. The RV guys use PAM cooking spray, Iv'e never tried it but heard it works pretty good.

You should have parked your 57 in between the tri-5 Chevy group and spoil their little party. :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

Love the canyon, thats my kind of place. It so good to see you getting plenty of miles on the car. Due to family problems I'm not traveling like I would like too, got one break a few weeks ago and did a 320 mile trip up the coast..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Actually the bugs have been fairly easy to get off. Believe it or not, I use Pledge Multi-surface. Started using it as a detail spray after I had my accident because regular meguire type detailers have silicon in them...not good when you know you have a paint job coming up. I still use the Pledge on bugs because it doesn't evaporate real quick, so you can let it sit fir a while, respray and wipe off. Works particularly well on chromes of course, and if your at the do it yourself car wash, spray the bugs and let it sit for a few minutes before you hit it with the high pressure hose. It works good as a glass and dash cleaner,

Jeff Norwell

Awesome Rich...Childress is a great town!.Yes.Larry Grillett is the gentleman I bought my car from.He has an amazing collection and a wonderful personal scrap yard if you get to see it.Glad you met Bob ,Linda and Isabella....I bug Bob all the time about his Antique T.
Looks like you had a blast!

Did you get to see Delbert,s collection too?

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Rich, isn't it a great thing that you HAVE to get bugs off the car ? It means it is getting driven now, thats the only thing cars are made for. Those pics are supernice and I bet everybody here would like to drive his 57 down that winding twolane. I am happy for you that you fully enjoy your 57 now, to make up for what happend earlier this year.

Ford Blue blood

I too believe rubbing bugs off is a great thing!  The stone chips are a badge of honor and I wear them proudly as well.  No sense in having a car if you can't have fun with it.

re: bugs, ask anyone that lives in the southeastern part of the of the U.S. about "love bugs"!  Pam is the tops for preventing your paint from being ruined by the acid in those little buggers after they smash into every vertical surface on your car.  Get to the house, wash the car, dry, and re-apply Pam.  Every day task during the "mating season" down there!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

rmk, Bill...I'll give that Pam a try. It doesn't make your car smell like old grease?

Jim....hope the family problems start disapating and you can start getting out some more. Yep, the canyon is my kind of place also. I'm just not making a good flatlander.

DJ...absolutly! exactly my point when I began this thread with "my life has really changed this year". Particularly happy about having no mechanical issues that got me stranded anywhere all year. My tire blowout and bad starter problem were both in-town and certainly nothing major.

Jeff. Glad you're remembering these names...I can't. Yes. Delbert has the part of the old dealership building next to Larry. I met his son. The show was "Delbert days" in respect for him. I maybe wrongfully assumed Delbert has passed away? The highway Patrol Mustang was in his section.
Guys...The "Bob" Jeff and I are talking about is Bob Owens from Owens Salvage in Wellington, Tx. His name pops up alot on the Hamb. He's well known and very active in the area. Has some great cars.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-11-01 08:18
rmk, Bill...I'll give that Pam a try. It doesn't make your car smell like old grease?

Nope.  It does get sticky if left on for days.  I don't use it now as bugs that I collect now are nothing like the love bugs.  I keep a good coat of wax on it/them and use car wash soap to remove the remains.  When I have a heavy load of the I put a wet towel on the front and let them soak for a while.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

This reminds me of the time a few years ago when a Hamb member asked how to wash a car. I must have laughed for three days straight at the responses the poor guy got. I always wondered if he ever logged on to a forum again....may have ended up in a phsyco ward somewhere.