News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Magazine Collection

Started by Lgcustom, 2019-10-23 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lgcustom

I'd like to know what any of you have done with collections of old car magazines. I have a collection of Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Ford, Popular Hot Rodding, etc. that goes back into the  '70's. I've advertised a few on Ebay with no luck. I hate to just take them to the curb. So, any ideas are welcome.

rmk57

The only ones that have real value these days would be car magazines from the 50's / 60's, maybe early 70's with road tests or the double page car ads they used to have.  I have stacks of them to from the late 60's to the 80's I cant bring myself to throw away either.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rovohn

Car clubs might like them,our British car club let's members bring in old mags to each meeting,the leftovers get recycled
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

Wirenut

I donated stacks of them to our local library, I also donated some of them to MD Anderson Cancer Center when I was there, they have carts with coffee and magazines they roll around to all of the waiting rooms.

Lou

About 15 years ago I bought 2200 car magazines from a guy, took them to a swap meet and priced them at a buck each (I had them sorted my title). By the end of the year (3 swap meets)  I had 150 left. At some points I had 7 guys at my table going thru them. The remainder I gave to the 16 year old son of a friend.

Lgcustom

Thanks for all the ideas. I had sold a bunch at a swap meet several years ago. It was quite a frenzy at first with all the dealers going through them
I just hate the idea of trashing them all.

59meteor

I have never had much luck selling car magazines at swap meets. I keep most of my 60s and early 70s magazines in binders, but I have probably 1000 magazines from the mid 70s until fairly current. I used to subscribe to many (Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, Popular Hot Rodding, Hot Rod, Car Craft,and when they were produced by Dobbs Publications in Florida, Mustang Monthly, Super Ford and MuscleCar Review, I also bought many others at the local stores. But sometime during the 90s, many of the car magazines turned into 60-70% advertisements, with a few  "fluff" articles sprinkled throughout. In recent years I can go months between magazine purchases, I will thumb thru them at the newstand, but unless there is a tech article of interest, or a feature car I like, they go back on the shelf. Between the lack of content that appeal to me, not to mention how expensive they have become, very few issues follow me home. That said, rant over. I have taken boxes of car magazines to Swap Meets, priced as low as $20.00 a box, with about about 50 magazines per box, and ended up bringing them home with me. Like many of you guys, I hate the idea of just tossing them in the recycling bin or trash can. I have a friend who lists many really old car magazines, like Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Honk, etc on Ebay. He does sell a few for pretty  high prices, but it takes quite a bit of time, especially if you put each magazine in its own plastic display bag.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

SkylinerRon

I too have a big collection that goes back to the 50's. Sometimes i'll buy some to get ones I my not have and then sell off the extras at Carlisle.

Haven't had a problem selling them for $1.00 each. Had some Playboys and they didn't sell at all.

I like to reread the old car mags every few years now.

Magazines have gotten so cheap to subscribe to now that you can get a whole year for what 2 issues cost on the newsstand.

Ron.

Lou

Check your Playboys for drawing by Vargas they are worth $10.00 to $20.00  each (Do not remove drawing from magazine)

SkylinerRon

Thanks, I hadn't heard that. His drawings were very good almost better than the real thing.

Still have most of the late 60's & 70's copies in my collection.

Ron.

JPotter57

If you have a lot of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated or Super Ford, the John Paradise years, then I am interested in them...I collect them, and have quite a few, but only from the 80s up...would love to have the earlier ones.  Let me know what you have...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lgcustom

Just took a look. My Super Fords run from '88-2000. Did find some Super Stock from '71-74. The rest are mostly '90s. There are also some Cars mags from '69-70s.

JPotter57

Let me know what you want for the Super Stock mags, all the 71-74.  Should be able to do media mail shipping.  Really interested in those.  I have all the Super Fords that you have, I subscribed those years...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lgcustom

I made a detailed inventory as follows:
Super Stock & Drag Illustrated
1970--July & December
1971--Jan, July,Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec
1972--Jan, March,April, May, July, Nov, Dec
1974--Feb & May
1975--Mar, Jun, July
1976 Feb, May

Total of 28 Mags. Condition is good. No torn or missing covers or pages.

How about $2 ea???  Shipping looks like about $14.35 by USPS flat rate box. Let me know what you think.

Larry