News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Members

Started by lslevin, 2020-07-21 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Just looked at your 57 pic's again. Looks great, a super restoration!  A lot of time and dollars went into it. A stick with A/C convertible is indeed a rare car.  A few things I noticed, the blower motor and housing are factory a/c parts.  It would have had a three sheave pulley on the crank, two sheave on the waterpump and generator. Looks like it still has the group 27 battery box.
Goodluck,
Ron.

djfordmanjack

Great info !

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2020-07-25 21:02
There are three different heaters in 57. With the factory a/c ALL the heater parts are different.  If you are not going to use the factory a/c I would buy a complete non a/c heater for it.

You have to pull the housing to change the heater core, the a/c heater core is different and very hard to find. Probably could be recored by a good radiator shop.

The factory a/c cars have a long, long list of different parts than non a/c cars from engine pulleys to dash parts, just so you know if you have to change anything.

Carpenter's sells all the rubber seals for a/c-heater systems, I'd change them while it is apart.

I researched the a/c for my car a few years ago since I had not even seen a factory a/c 57 until, like you I bought one!

Good luck,

Ron B.

lslevin

Ron, that is great info!!!  We need to decide how we want to restore the HVAC system.  For now we will just enjoy the car and deal with improvements later.  Thanks again for all your help.

Larry and Lynn

CobraJoe

Welcome, and as said already; Beautiful 57's!!!!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ford Blue blood

Larry and Lynn, If you haven't already you need to purchase every manual for the vehicles.  The 57 Ford manual has a great section on the air conditioning system.  The fiber parts of the "box" are irreplaceable, they need to be handled with care.  Most all the internal parts are available in one form or the other.  The seals are out there as well.  Carpenter has almost everything in the line of seals.  Good luck with it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lslevin

Hello All.  This is Larry and Lynn updating you on our struggles.  It has been about 6 weeks since we posted and we have had a very interesting time chasing all the ideas and issues we raised in the previous posts.  We are proud to say, we declare the 57 convertible fixed and ready to go!!!  Along the way we fixed several small things and a couple of big ones but the main problem turned out to be engine timing.  We finally totally disregarded the timing marks on the balancer and started over.  We found the true TDC and discovered that the distributor was about 4-5 teeth out of time (retarded).  This was consistent with where we discovered the real TDC to be on the pulley.  So, we are confident we now have a safe reliable car and it is going to its first Florida car show tomorrow.  Thanks again to all of your comments and suggestions!!!  We are going to enjoy the car for the upcoming car show season.  Florida is backwards and has all the shows in the winter and spring.  Next summer we are going onto upgrading and improving some things.  Please keep in touch and we will do the same.

mustang6984

Ah...a touch of excessive retardation...kinda like me in some of my projects. Eventually all works out...but WOW...does the Bayer company make some change in the process!!!

Congrats! Enjoy that cruiser!!!   :wave:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Those are great news ! Its always difficult to find a problem that somebody else did wrong a long time ago.

Now we all want to see some shiny pics of the Sunliner at some cool Florida events and a few trophies inbetween !  :002: :003:
Enjoy !