News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1958 headlights fit a '57?

Started by ReddingScott, 2017-12-08 01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I remember seeing some of those dual quad headlight conversions on 57 Fords back in the 50's. They really really  did not look nice.   They were not that popular and didn't flow with the 57 lines.  However, there were some people that bought them.

Scott
    You are right.    " why mess with the original? The car looks great as is. Sometimes I think I spend too much time and effort thinking about this stuff and not enough enjoying what I have. thanks for all the help."

hiball3985

I'd love to have one of those right hand drive 57's. Were they built in Australia or exported from the US?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

There were laws limiting cars to two headlights in some states.
The car co's lobbied for four headlights.

Ron.

terry_208

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-12-10 09:29
I'd love to have one of those right hand drive 57's. Were they built in Australia or exported from the US?

IIRC, Australian Fords were the same or nearly the same from 55-58.   Like the US 55-56.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Terry

slumlord44

I don't care for the dual headlights on the '57 but I sure like the '58 hood on a '57. Had one on my '57 Custom 300 2 door with a 390 back in the late '60's. Wish I had that car back today with a 312 in it. Guy I sold it to rolled it and totaled it shortly after i sold it to him. Had a conversation with one of the guys who was in that wreck today and a local bar. He remembered it well.

junior58

terry-208 and hiball3985, Australia never got the 57/58 body shape, they rehashed the 55 all the way through to 59. The 57s in this topic with the dual headlight conversions are both in NZ, the colour photo was taken at the Palmerston North Hot Rod Club annual swapmeet held at the local horse trotting track. NZ RHD drive 57/58's were assembled at the Ford plant in Seaview, Lower Hutt from CKD packs sourced through Canada I believe but were Fords, not Monarchs or Meteors, and had the US style trim as opposed to the Canadian trim.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

hiball3985

Quote from: junior58 on 2017-12-13 17:01
terry-208 and hiball3985, Australia never got the 57/58 body shape, they rehashed the 55 all the way through to 59. The 57s in this topic with the dual headlight conversions are both in NZ, the colour photo was taken at the Palmerston North Hot Rod Club annual swapmeet held at the local horse trotting track. NZ RHD drive 57/58's were assembled at the Ford plant in Seaview, Lower Hutt from CKD packs sourced through Canada I believe but were Fords, not Monarchs or Meteors, and had the US style trim as opposed to the Canadian trim.
Thank you, great info.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang