News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ranchero based on Fairlane?

Started by jvo, 2014-09-29 09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Glad to see you're posting photos of your progress and getting back on the project. I enjoy following along with the progress and creativity. Good luck.

jvo

Well, I managed to get a little more done.  I'm going to have to skip fairly fast, but I'll show some pics.  Its been a long long time doing all the "thinking and deciding" and measuring and more thinking.  I finally got the back end of the roof where I want it.  Its amazing how different it looks 1/2 an inch lower. 

The thinking and measuring part is all done now.  I have made all the decisions on what goes where, etc.  so now its just finding the time to get it done. 

I had to make the bottom half of the pieces from scratch, that go beside the tailgate.  That's why the pics you guys sent were so valuable.  In fact, just looking at the one pic now, I can see exactly where I need to weld the box side to the tailgate bottom.  Looks like the box side sticks out about 1/4 of an inch maybe at the bottom, where the bottom of the tailgate is.  Thanks for that.

If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

jvo

I have those pieces all welded up to the box sides now.  The back upper, I don't know what to call it, between the tailgate and tail light.  Underneath, the factory had several seams.  Mine were a little rusty, so I cut all that out and made new pieces without any seams, all butt welded once done. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

jvo

Just pics of the back end repairs.

jvo

Made a little dolly to repair all the perimeter of the top of the bed rail.  This is going slowly now as I'm currently metal finishing the wheel wells, inner and outer as well as the full quarter panels, before building new inner bed sides.  I can get at all the outer body work that way. Metal finishing to get ready for paint is easier now than later. 

Regardless, both top bed sides are welded to the taillight/ tail gate pieces.  Ready to weld together, but finishing outer body work first.

jvo

Gotta go find more pics.

jvo

If you look closely, the top of the box is clamped in place.  I have it all marked and have taken both sides off again to true them up for fitting to weld.  Just need time.  Life keeps getting in the way, but I'm still having fun, and I'm still here. 

jvo

This brings me up to date.  Everything fits. It all lines up just like it should, I just have to start fitting and welding it all together.

KULTULZ

I'm gonna tell you one thing, you surely are talented!

I didn't go through the entire thread yet but was wondering, have you thought about mocking the HDTP doors to mimic the CHEV NOMAD window opening frame-less doors and having the rear door glass opening appear as a 1972/ RANCHERO??

No insult intended.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

Hey John, good to see you back. That's going to be soooo unique! You sure have the patience, man! I love the longer theme, and I think your perspectives on how things should flow are spot on. I love the way your making something from nothing where you're forming that tailight/tailgate areas one small piece at a time. That's pretty much how I had to do the outer 4" of my inner rear wheel wells, because like you, I don't have English wheels, shrinkers/stretchers, etc. Like you also, I thought it was a ton of fun.
I do like the lowered rear roof line. It'll be interesting to see whatever you have planned for the pillar areas executed.
Thanks for sharing again, and keep us posted.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jvo

The doors are hardtop doors. Actually, drivers door is retractable, and pass. door is hardtop.  They are the same.  I got a set of the hardtop flip up thingies for the top of the windows from Alvin Stadel. 
I mocked them up in place, and I'll have to shorten them just a hair to fit, but I do plan on using them.  Yes, the glass will have the stainless trim around it, just like the hardtop, but when the glass is rolled down, there will be no window frame.

I want to put some mockup steel wheels on it soon, and I want to paint them first to see how the colour turns out.  I'm going with the original silver mocha on the sides, and maybe roof, and inca gold for the rest.

I've been to two auto body supply shops locally, and they say they can't match up the numbers to a modern paint system from the silver mocha tab.  I printed the colour sheets with all the cross over numbers from dupont, ditzler, etc. but I'm told that Canadian Fords had different colours and names.  Their computer systems don't recognize the silver mocha.

The PPG guy said he can do the inca gold, but nothing for silver mocha.  Does anyone have an answer for this?  A newer number for silver mocha that will cross over to modern colours, or a color from another manufacturer, that is the same or very very close? 

I plan on doing base / clear, so I can take it to the detail guy afterwards and he can polish out my amateur paint job. I've only ever painted one other vehicle, and that was more than 10 years ago. 

RICH MUISE

Gunter may have the silver Mocha current reference numbers.......that's the brown, correct?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Lynn

djfordmanjack

I am sorry to say, but I do not have any modern equivalent mix or # for the Silver Mocha. I used a bunch of  non specific  base colors from my local paint shop and mixed it up myself. It worked ok on my patina paint 57CS, but no accurate match, I confess.
That plan for factory 57 colors ( and imho the best combo of all SM/IG !!!) will fool people even more in believeing that this could have come from factory. this is an exciting project ! Looking forward to seeing further efforts.
Guenter

ps. I have yet to see a doeskin Tan/Silver mocha 57, Lynn, but it sounds to good to be true. it sounds equally nice to SM/IG !

rmk57

I wonder when it's all finished and painted how many passer byers or car show attendees would pick up thats it's Fairlane based Ranchero. I bet much more than half would think it's just a nicely restored Ranchero.  What a task and great looking work!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429