News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ANGRY about aftermarket quality

Started by djfordmanjack, 2019-12-21 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I need to vent. The company is called Drop Fake. Every dedicated Ford guy knows them. because we need their parts. but this is just dishonest and fraud. Again and again, like with all parts from Mac's as well. They do take our money and provide us junk junk, more junk.
GRRRRR !

I purchased this gas cap for my 34 Ford after using another on a friends 34 phtn and it looked and worked good. I ordered this and it is made from bubblegum, soft and cheap and inferior metal. It needed 3 hours of repair to make it working. obviously they are always looking for more profit and less quality.

RICH MUISE

So that is now a vented gas cap...........sorry Guenter, couldn't resist.
Never heard of Drop Fake. USA company? they must specialize in older vintage Ford stuff. Glad you were able to get it workable.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

haha....yeah would be a huge vent now, probably should go dragracing....  :003:

If you look closely at the first pic you will find the company's real name... :002:

Jeff Norwell

Bob Drake huh...... Aftermarket means it usually don't fit.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

G, you are late to the party, I've been on this rant for the last 20+ years.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2019-12-22 08:29
Bob Drake huh...... Aftermarket means it usually don't fit.
Yep, hammer to fit, weld shut and paint to match..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim if you see this, you can confirm it  So this is my question.    Is that gas cap material  called tofu also?

Guenter
      At the rate that we are going, things are not going to get any better.

SkylinerRon

I try to always send junk back. A phone call usually gets problems resolved or money back especially if they advertise in Hemmings.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Sending back is a pain, but when your offshore it also gets very expensive. Guenter is probably like me...I've got it, I can fix it even though I shouldn't have to. Rockauto is the only place I have no issues sending stuff back because they're so effecient at replacement part delivery.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Like Rich said, sending back stuff is no option for me. Not only adding in postage cost but also taxes and Custom fees twice, even for the domestic (US) seller when they receive the item back. That said, there are shops that take huge pride in their quality products and are willing to deal right. Egge pistons send me the wrong OS bore pistons for a Flathead, and agreeing that it was their mistake they sent another set and would not let me return the wrong set because obviously it would have added more cost for them, than it would be worth for resale.
Anyways, I had to pay for the taxes and fees again, but also was allowed to keep the second set. So EGGE not only produces and sells very good stuff, they are also a stand up when it comes to returns or mistakes on their side! Well done !
There is a long list of smaller US suppliers that I am very pleased with.
It's just the Bubble Gum mentality of the larger companies that keeps annoying me.
Ron is right that junk parts should be returned. the shops need to know, and when they get half of their parts returned they need to rethink their production quality.
Unfortunately, like Rich said, we need those parts on our cars and most often can modify them to usable condition.

djfordmanjack

Whenever possible I try to get NOS parts. Just got a packet from Sweden with good stuff.  I can't help wondering why 50 or 60 yr old rubber is still soft and pliable, while cheap modern reproduction stuff is cracked after 2 or 3 years.

Jeff Norwell

Gunther,.. the same is with my industry before the digital age came into play,.... commercial art supplies completely changed.Paper,pens,inks,Canvas,Paints,brushes,etc,etc.The materials became horrible..... then the digital age came about and the industry became "arts and Crafts".... terrible.....

The materials used back in the 30s' to the 70's in the automotive world became cheaper because the ingredients  used were deemed caustic,poisons  and the environmental groups forced change.Rubber especially.(good or bad is another debate.)
Cost is also a big variable.China gets the bad rap on that all the time.... but the Companies that use China(or any company,Country) demand low cost and high production.
United Pacific uses China on all their 32 Stampings and products.The quality is very good and high(for the most part) but the end cost is crazy expensive...25k for a steel body....
I, like you,.. search out all the NOS parts as possible.... but then you being on a different continent,.... the cost gets crazy.

I rarely trust any aftermarket automotive parts.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com