News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The cars that time forgot...

Started by Fonz, 2015-05-03 03:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Fonz

Some rides didn't get the credit they deserve when new, or were once well known and have become forgotten in the interim. Like the 1979 Mustang Cobra 302. All the attention goes to the 1982 GT 5.0, but things really got started in 1979. The 1980 and 1981 replacement of the 302 with the 255 is probably why the 1979 car gets overlooked some. What other cars would you add? :004:

1979 Mustang Cobra 302

Matador X 401

'67 Firebird 400

SkylinerRon

That X is cool. Probably early production, after the oil embargo you couldn't give away a 401.
I had a 74 red, blk stripe/ blk bucket seat interior X demo when i worked for AMC.
Ever seen a "What's a Matador" bumper sticker?
Think I still have a 1974 Car ordering guide somewhere.

Ron.

Zapato

Another one from AMC that seems forgotten is Gremlin X, Remember seeing one with the 401 and several other Gremlins with the 343. Was the 401 factory or one of those dealer installed deals done in those days?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Zapato on 2015-05-18 00:35
Another one from AMC that seems forgotten is Gremlin X, Remember seeing one with the 401 and several other Gremlins with the 360. Was the 401 factory or one of those dealer installed deals done in those days?

Factory.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Zapato

thank you Jeff wasn't sure if it wasn't factory or something like the Baldwin-Motion Camaros or some of the various Holman-Moody creations among others.

Zapato

MT

I had a '79 Cobra with a 302 in the late 80's.  I really enjoyed it.  The TRX tires were near impossible to get, even then. 

rmk57

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Around here you could buy a factory installed 401 Gremlin.The Gremlin X.
A dealer would host all the other options.I knew of 2 guys that had them.One was angle Purple and the other was a Yellow.401 came in the AMX and Javlins prior..

Jeff Norwell

Apologies,I was under the impression that Gremlin X was a 401 factory option,As so I was led to believe from up here in Canada.The reason I say this is the factory was in Brampton ontario(just south of me) and they were not uncommon.
the 2 fellas I knew had a either 70 or 71 Gremmy X's.
God they were ugly, But the base 401 were quick.
The 304 was the base V8 and I thought the 343 was also an option V-8.anyhow,I wish they would have stayed with the concept cars they made,They were wicked looking,had a CHEETAH look and feel.

Zapato

boy! those look great with the Javelin nose and reduced roof height. you're right they should have built those instead they built the Pacer.

Zapato

Zapato

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2015-05-19 12:26
,I wish they would have stayed with the concept cars they made,They were wicked looking,had a CHEETAH look and feel.

Considering AMC was struggling to stay alive its actually amazing they came up with the Gremlin, Pacer, Javelin and AMX in those days. specially considering they were just a few years away from the humble but sturdy little American.

Zapato

SkylinerRon

I worked for AMC/Jeep from 71-83.  Had a bunch of cool demo's over the years.
Gremlins came out mid 1970. The X package was mid year 71. The 304 V-8 option started in 1972.
Ordered a 72 GX-V8 with the first order of the year. It was red/gold stripes and red/blk interior.
Had a lot of fun suprising folks with that one!
Randall AMC in Arizona did most of the 401 conversions. The 401 was a bolt-in swap for a 304 which
Randall sold to a boat builder for inboards.
The Pacer was odd looking but, they sure drove great. Handling, ride and brakes were excellent.

Ron.

Zapato

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-05-24 02:33

Randall AMC in Arizona did MOST  of the 401 conversions. The 401 was a bolt-in swap for a 304 which
Randall sold to a boat builder for inboards.
Ron.

Ron, took the liberty of changing the most to capitals, Now we know there were other players doing the 401. Were any factory as Jeff believed to be? Randall selling the 304s to a boat builder is an interesting piece of automotive history and excellent recycling. Thank you for sharing that.

Zapato

Fonz

There was even a Hornet X, but it was nowhere near as popular, or long lived as the Gremlin X.

Funny thing about the Gremlin 401 was that Randall American just followed the factory's 304 installation. But, with the Pacer 401, AMC followed Randall's V8 installation because Pacer originally came out with 232/258 six only.

In the '70s many dealers would do one off 401 drop ins into Gremlins, but I don't think there was another "formal" operation like Randall American as such. Places like Baldwin, Yenko, Nicky had all closed by this time, sadly.

John Palmer

I lived and raced in Phoenix during this time.  They were located in Mesa, AZ., just south of the Beeline Dragway track.  Randall also ran a "very quick" bright red, two wheel drive "open" Jeep in the AHRA stock classes.  The required safety equipment was just a clean STP T-Shirt!  LOL 

We raced the Don Sanderson Ford Falcon in Modified Production and Hot Rod classes.  It was a 289 run at 9# and 10# per cubic inch.

Other car dealers in the Phoenix area were also active during this period.  Brown and Hoye Chevrolet ran a record holding Corvair, and Rudolph Chevrolet ran a A/S Chevy II.