News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

must be out to lunch!

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-01-13 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I check this site at least twice a day,  really like to read the random BS.  I find it very quiet lately, must be the weather as not much is happening.  Hard to understand because [all of us] when we were in high school there was allways something going on. Take care, Alvin

djfordmanjack

Alvin, I have observed that as well. I believe it has something to do with holiday season, when most spent time with the family and after days and weeks of that, might just be out for work or enjoying the hobby shop again and less interested in posting online. let's hope many members come back online soon and talk about their recent projects and achievements !

Ford Blue blood

I'm with Alvin on this one.  I do check it twice a day, go into withdrawal if I can't. 

The build progress does slow down, weather, family, stuff requiring attention because you ignored it all summer and fall and just the plain ol malaise of winter. Some days I'm just as content as a bug in a rug to sit and watch in wonder the insanity in Washington D. C.  Given you don't talk sex, religion or politics with family (you do realize we are all family?) the discussion field gets small pretty fast!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

It's been happening for quite a while now. Many reasons I think.....
For whatever reason, we've lost a bunch of guys who use to post frequently. Bob Lee and Tom Drummond were moderators here and use to post frequently. They just disappeared. James doesn't even post here anymore. We've lost a few frequent posters because they had the nerve to die on us. .....Zapato, Tim and his dad from Vermont. Not sure how many have deceased and we've just not heard the news. I think redwhitered last year made a statement about being terminally ill. Depressing thoughts I know, but that's not the only reason. Sometimes guys are no longer into '57's, and have moved on to other vehicles. I think perhaps the biggest reason is Facebook. There are two or three '57 Ford facebook pages. I check in on the facebook pages occasionally but my primary interest is still here and the Hamb.
We've had lots of new members, and I keep hoping they'll start posting build threads, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to happen. I think the interest is there if they were posted. I've got 8 thousand posts, did hundreds of them on individual topics before I started an actual build thread (I've got 2 actually) both my build threads have 100k+ reads, so like I said, the interest is there . I think it is real important for us to keep this forum active. I see lots of posts on facebook with questions that are rarely answered, and I think that's what separates this forum from Facebook.
There IS alot of BS that goes on here, but that's ok, as Bill said we're a family or a social club at the least. Having the bs threads really helps keep the forum active. LOL, my 8k+ posts is what makes it so hard for me to keep posting......hard to come up with new stuff that I haven't already posted about unless someone asks a question that I can help with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

lots of good points, especially with facebook and instagram. I can confirm that exactly that slowed down our German Hotrod/Kustom forum a lot.
Maybe it's also what we discussed lately about the restoration market/expense/time problem. It seems that fewer cars are getting restored than before. I would love to post efforts on my Del Rio project, but it stalled years ago for obvious reasons. I would think that happens to other people as well. and they don't have any news to post as well.
I think it is great to also post latest pics of cruises and trips like Rich and Jim frequently do. or about smaller maintainance work.
Maybe Rich you could just open a topic encouraging members to post their smaller adventures and experiences as well.

BP57CUSTOM

Some others may be like me , after Christmas I don't have any money for parts or projects and don't get to do anything until I can save up.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KYBlueOval

Well I'll add my 2 cents to this. Work continues on my Ranchero, but at a slow pace. It is still on a rotisserie , coming up on 3 years  in April, but progress is made with every hour invested. What is being done now is block sanding, fitting the SS bed trim, fitting the tailgate, Seam Sealing in the Truck Bed, figuring out the seat belts and their mounting etc.. I'm of the opinion that these things I've mentioned are not such things that would be of much interest to the Forum, so I have not posted what has been done in the last 6 to 8 months.
We have held off installing the INNER Rear Fender and  INNER Quarter Panel pieces , many of which were hand fabricated, until all the work that would create sanding dust, metal shavings etc. , that could get trapped in the areas between the inner and outer pieces is completed. I think we are about ready to weld these pieces in and when we do I'll take photos and post them.
I expect it will be a couple more months before I can bring the body home and install it on the frame. At that point I'll take some more photos and post them. 
John

geraldchainsaw

could b its just to cold out,  at least here in michigan,    also,  at what age do some finally give up on old cars,  i'm going on 82 and don't plan on it for a few more years

RICH MUISE

Gerald, your car looks as good as ever. Nice neighborhood too, but I'm wondering.........is that a swimming pool your neighbor across the street has in his FRONT yard? Unique, but doesn't look bad at all. Just don't think I've ever seen a front yard swimming pool other than kiddie pools.

geraldchainsaw

that pools n the side yard,  we both live n a corner

djfordmanjack

Your Sunliner is just so pretty, Gerald ! Very, very classy and one of my favorite 57 color combos!

hiball3985

I've noticed many of our old members missing and it makes you wonder what has happened?
I have nothing interesting going on with the 57, managed to just do oil/filter change to get ready for this year travels, I still drive it locally every day. I've been slowly working on my new Y block engine but I'll probably not live long enough to find a car to put it in. Between the holidays and a death in the family and cleaning out that house I haven't been on a road trip for a while. After a wedding this weekend maybe I'll get some free time. The wife through a wrench in my weekday travel plans by going back to work after only retiring for a few months  :005:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I always have projects on the Ford going on. Since winter here is pretty comfortable it is better driving weather than the summer, (I am still trying to get my A/C ironed out). Drove the car the other day and it is driving better than ever but the next day I notice a cooling leak from the lower radiator hose. This is the 3rd hose I have had to change, major dry rot! I found one from Rock Auto, an AC Delco, made in the USA cheaper than the one from Concours Auto Parts that I am assuming is made in China. Anyway, I was letting the car idle to get it up to temp and I ran out of gas! Apparently the sending unit was sticking, I got one from Carpenter so we'll see how that works out. There are several car shows coming up.
Lynn

Swank

Since i have this contraption rolling, throw those car shows up in the events section,  if any are within 8 to 12 blocks from my house, ...I might like to bring this thing.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

"if any are within 8 to 12 blocks from my house,"        that's funny. Some day you'll get that car so you'll be like me and look for the ones that are 200ish miles plus.