News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Covid-19

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-01-25 19:24

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

About 3 weeks ago I signed up to get my covid shot. They called this afternoon and said I am set up to get my shot at 11:45 Fri. Jan 29.  I know that none of you know me except  for about 4 members that I have met. I don't no why this is but sometimes when I say things I hear them for the 1st time just like you. Anyway  I asked the nurse about some of the side affects I have been hearing about and am ok with most of her answers.
Edit by Rich

mustang6984

ROTFLMAO!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

brushwolf

Yeah, I still follow my old habits dealing with the unknown... You first, buddy... There have been a lot of reports of adverse reactions (Bell's Palsy) and even deaths from the vaccine.. When I was snowmobiling, I never went out onto the lake ice until a few others had been doing so for several weeks.  Still good with that approach... I will for sure take some precautions, but idt the vaccine is among them at this point.

Maybe if I felt I had significant underlying conditions or frequent social interaction with large numbers of people, I would think differently. But with a 99.5% survivability rate and an average age of "Covid death being 80 years old in MN, I will pass for now.  I am still more worried about contracting hantavirus from mice nests in old cars, than catching covid. CDC even says only 6% of alleged 400k covid deaths are directly attributable and died "from it", as opposed to "with it".

I have several "essential workers" in my immediate family and all are alleged to have been exposed since March, but nobody got sick. Couple extended family members from other households did, but pretty mildly - and even then not their whole immediate household contracted it.

Years ago, I had a family member have a "rare" adverse reaction to a medication and almost died, plus almost lost their vision and kidney function. The day before in the same major city hospital, someone did die (a healthy teenager) from the same "rare, statistically unlikely" adverse reaction. 

While some doctors are great, others lack even common sense. If I had listened to every doctor every time they opined, one of my children would likely have died or been permanently disabled.  After the fact they agreed that it was indeed a prescription that caused it all. During the course of events they insisted it was not the new prescription.  I stopped the prescription against medical advice cuz I could see what taking it was doing.  Still was a $184k medical bill, fortunately mostly covered by insurance.

So far, I am still in the "cure seems worse than the disease" camp. So, I am content to let the people who are real worried about catching Covid to go far ahead of me in any vaccine lines. I have only once even taken a flu shot, though the doctor has recommended them for years. Once over a decade I got the flu.  But, I was always careful in using office, public facility, or gas station restrooms, maybe that helped.

Now that I am retired, live in a rural area,  I can live like a hermit if I want to and the only people I have face-to-face contact with are household members, the doctor, dentist, some construction folks doing different jobs for me. So, thanks but I will pass on the vaccines, for now at least.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

mustang6984

I have never gotten a flu shot...much to my doc's consternation. But then...until I got this infernal COVID...I hadn't been sick, not even the common cold...for well over 20 years.
And while I got the "shot in the gut" version...my wife got the "damn...I have a bad cold" version. We have been tied together at the hip since mid August after being apart for 8 months...went every where together...slept 6 inches from each other and yet...we get 2 different versions within a week of each other.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

brushwolf

Yeah, in my niece's family her husband (about 40 and healthy - but has a 2nd job as a bartender), spent a couple days in the hospital. She said he felt real sick. Her 8 yr old daughter got it mildly and kicked it almost immediately (a day), and she (the mom in contact with everyone), never even got it at all. How can that be if it spreads so easily? Apparently some people just have more resistance to it than others.

I had not seen her for probably 10 years, but told her they could hunt here after I sold the hobby farm in the aftermath of the pole building collapse. She asked for a hug back in August when she came out here for the first time ever, but I never got Covid either from her, or from my wife and youngest son who have both worked throughout this whole debacle.

We shall see how my luck holds now that we are embarking this week on a road trip to Florida for about a month. I intend to mostly be a hermit there too, probably go to the beach and likely a restaurant though.  And I have a brush hog tree crew lined up to open up the back part of our 9+ acre rural property there. But, we are not going to stay more than one night in a motel, cuz too many people.... 600 miles a day is less than I used to do and we still are not going near any airports,  as it is not worth the hassle.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

mustang6984

Yea...airports...nope. The odds of seeing me on a plane ever again as long as I am alive...are less than the odds of me winning the LOTTO...and I haven't bought a ticket in years. The only way tail will ever be on a plane again is if I die on a road trip and my family has a black bag with my sorry keister in it flown back.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Being an essential worker, it was offered to me and I got the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago, go for the second one on February 10th. no side effects other than a slightly sore arm the next day.  :dontknow:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

lalessi1

I got my first Pfizer shot three weeks ago and I get the second one today. No adverse reactions at all so far. I for one believe in science and discount information that is based on hearsay and the internet. We all received vaccinations against childhood diseases and remarkably a lot of childhood diseases ( polio, measles, mumps, etc.) have all but been eliminated only to see a resurgence in some of these because some "misinformed" individuals believe vaccines cause more harm than good (autism for example). As an older individual I drifted into the camp of no vaccines but after having seen a friend die from pneumonia and others suffer from shingles and the flu, I have elected to get all of my shots. In my mind it is a given. Vaccines can prevent you from infecting another loved one (or anyone for that matter), something I would rather not take a chance on.
Lynn

hiball3985

I'm still on the fence about this one. Even if I wanted it there isn't enough supply and appointments are impossible to get here. I still worry about long term effects with something that was rushed through.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-01-26 08:38
I'm still on the fence about this one. .... I still worry about long term effects with something that was rushed through.

I have to agree with this statement which I modified.  I also agree with Lynn, I don't want to infect others should I catch something.  Although I had polio as a kid, I still had a couple polio vaccines with boosters. 
Terry

BP57CUSTOM

My wife and I got our first shot 12 days ago. Didn't even feel it. Only side effect was a very mild headache and a little soreness at the injection site which would probably happen with any injection. I cant wait to get the second round and then feel better about going to a cruise night or car show.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lalessi1

I got my second shot yesterday. They said it was the same thing, same dose as the first one. MAY be more likely to cause side effects. None so far. There was a follow up story on local news about some nurses refusing to get vaccinated a while back.Turns out it was because of a rumor going around that it prevented one from becoming pregnant. No basis in fact as it turned out, just a story about how rumor mills cloud judgement.
Lynn

hiball3985

They continue to feed us BS. They just lowered the age from 75 to 65. Still no appointments or vaccine. 30% of our police and fire department won't take it?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Sherry and I go for our second shot tomorrow. My wife has another 2 1/2weeks (VA)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

brushwolf

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-01-27 18:55
They continue to feed us BS. They just lowered the age from 75 to 65. Still no appointments or vaccine. 30% of our police and fire department won't take it?

From 75 to 65 to get vaccine, or what?

And if they (gov't agencies) had not been feeding us BS, reversing themselves multiple times, sticking active covid patients in nursing homes on a wholesale basis in many states since last spring, hiding and obfuscating data, making rules that actually do not "follow the science", then the people would be more confident that our betters actually know what they are doing and really are acting in our best interests. 

Allegedly more than half of the NY fire department does not want it either.  There are many people that do not want it. I do thank those of you who are taking it for "going out on the new ice first" for everyone else, but nobody in my family has expressed any desire to get it. We don't really socialize a lot, or have any high risk elderly relatives, or any family members with compromised immune systems though, and we might reconsider if that were the case.

Realistically 26k people have died FROM it (as opposed to WITH it). That is way less than H1N1. The remainder OF "covid deaths" had a an average of 2.5 underlying conditions. Average age in MN is 80, overwhelmingly nursing home patients.  I followed our states stats for months and they repeatedly hid or mis-characterized this. Very similar to "every one of heteroexuals has as much risk of dying from AIDS back in the late 80's. 

Many other states stats are similar to MN, including South Dakota who did not impose draconian shutdowns. Diabetes, pneumonia, heart or pulmonary conditions, weakened immune systems from cancer treatment, etc. took most of these people thr news tells you died from Covid. They report what they are told to report. Journalism died 20 years ago. Hospitals are financially far better off to classify deaths as covid. This has been admitted.  Not all conspiracy theories are theories.

India has very few cases, relative to population. Why?  Over the counter dirt-cheap HCL is widely used.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird